MIL How easy is to get a full 4year scholarship by joining ROTC?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by joonboy, Apr 16, 2007.

1. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Just give the school your name.
    It is super easy.

3. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

not very hard
    im a marginal student and i could have had one to UM which is an expensive private school. Depends on how selective the particular program is. I bet I wouldn't have got one to aTm or Norwich.

4. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

I see

How do you know what schools have tougher ROTC programs?

5. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

the fuc are you talking about?

6. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

I've no clue what you mean by tougher...

There are the 5 Military (federal service) Academies in the US
    West Point, Annapolis, AF Academy, Coast Guard Academy and Merchant Marine Academy.

Then there are the 6 Senior Military Colleges in the US.
    Texas A&M, VMI, Citadel, Virginia Tech, Norwich and North Georgia.

7. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

it all depends on the detachment.

8. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

When I first was a cadet, there was 2 people out of 150 of the new students who had a full 4 year scholarship. Those two didn't cut it and quit/lost scholarship.

If your ROTC detachment is worth a damn, they'll filter out the crappy students over the years.

I was one of six, out of that 150 that commissioned.

9. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

sheesh. what school?

10. ManinCamo

11. ManinCamo

original class had 150. each semester it would wittle down. my senior year we had maybe 8 of the original class, plus we'd pick up and lose people who were not the normal 4 year cadets. All in all, I'd say we had about 200 people come in the the door as a cadet. We commissioned the 6 originals, and 2-3 others. So thats 8/200 that commissioned.

Sadly, not the pick on the Army, but a lot of our cadets who couldn't cut it and were dropped by AFROTC or told they had no chance would go to the Army ROTC. We were in the same building. The Army took our rejects. :mamoru:

12. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

why did it whittle down?

13. ManinCamo

Because not everyone is as cool as me... duh!

people decide its not for them, others have it decided for them.

ROTC, in order to actually do well, requires a lot of time and effort. People want to just skate on through like its nothing. Some people will get further than others just doing the minimums, however a good cadre will pick them up and filter them out. There is a lot of paperwork and meetings to go to over the years. If you suck, nobody will tell you anything other than "No Cadet Snuffy, you didn't get picked up this semester either..." when you ask. If you're good, the cadre will say "Hey, Cadet Snuffy, be here at 0800 on saturday to take the the xxxxx test"; "You have an appointment at the xxxxxx on xxxxx" ; "You need to stop by after class and sign your xxxx paperwork."; "you've been picked up at field training, you report to xxxx at xxxx , here are your plane tickets"; "Congrats you got picked up, we can contract you now."

Like I said, if you suck you'll never hear about any of it. Volunteer, stand out, show you can lead -- lead without being and asshole. Be an asset, not a commodity . I volunteered for everything, I held a 'position for 4 solid years. Started out small, eventually got bigger better jobs-showed I was willing and capable to lead. My commander went out of his way to try and get me commissioned.

14. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

depends on your GPA. the interview is the most crucial part. you can be a 4.0 student almost ace the ACT or SAT and if you fuck up the interview you will not get a letter saying congrats. I had a good ACT score a good GPA and a horrible interview and I got fucked over. I know some of the people who got 4 year scholarships and only one of them is worth a damn. The other two are both females, one has a hickey on her neck every monday(while she was still dating a guy from her home state also), and the other one doesn't understand what a chain of command is. case in point: in our drill and ceremonies handbook it states specifically that except for issue items nothing else is authorized to be worn. We were sposed to wear taps for a POW MIA ceremony for the main wing on the nearby base. She was told about this and instead of talking to her supervisor she went straight to the det commander(full bird colonel). She bypassed: her supervisor, squadron commander, group commander, wing commander and or vice wing commander, and Commandant of Cadets. along with the standardization and evaluation flight commander in there somewhere.

EDIT: forgot to mention that it also depends on your location. In the midwest a lot of navy ROTC scholarships don't get filled because of a lack of applicants, so depending on which branch you want to get into will determine how difficult getting a scholarship is.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  15. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

im goin for army rotc

what does the interview entail?

16. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

They must have found all those pt sessions filled with frisbee and dodgeball to be too exhausting...:mamoru:

17. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

it's only as tough as the people are around you

18. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

19. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

AF ROTC is a joke. They only reason they cut cadets is because of the massive cuts in personnel the AF is taking. Yea they send alot of marginal cadets to Army and Navy ROTC, but we make good use of them or give them the boot as well.
    We've had alot of good cadets transfer over from AFROTC because they got tired of parading around during lab time, doing stupid shit like taking tests on garbage stuff for no good reason.
    Everytime we invite them out to the obstacle course, PT, LandNav, Marksmanship, they give us the same tired excuse about not wanting to wake up at 6am. What fucking time do they do PT you ask? 2 pm or so.

Morans

20. nolecdt

nolecdt New Member

:rofl: :mamoru: QFT

21. ManinCamo

Thats not typical, fyi.

22. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

I don't know about the rest of the cadets in my det but for PT or leadlab I have to wake up at 0430 to be there by 0630.

23. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

they ask a bunch of questions and check your height and weight:

why do you want to be an officer, describe your leadership style, describe how you prioritize; things of that nature. I'm not gonna make excuses but I was unsure of the why i want to be an officer part and the answer I gave sucked balls. He had a fairly loud clock in his office so I could hear the seconds ticking by as he waited for my response. I was sitting there going through possible answers in my head and when one sounded good it came out of my mouth. Only after I said it I was wishing for a rope to hang myself.

24. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Seriously, it all depends on the year you are trying to apply. Each year presents a different situation. And honestly, it changes through out the year as well. ROTC schools are often given scholarships they didn't have previously randomly. And they are also taken away.

25. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

interview was easy imo. in order to get the 4 year you have to apply while still in high school i believe. i went for a 3 year after sticking it out for one year here. i wasn't sure i was gonna last.

just go in there confident, almost cocky. grades and extra curricular shit helps as well. like the nugent said, it all depends...it's METTC damnit lol. anyways, if there are 5 slots and 6 kids, you gotta make yourself look better.

they asked me why i wanted to be an officer. i said because my relatives served in the military and i looked up to them etc.

don't go in there sounding like you rehearsed the friggen thing for 2 hours though. you want to sounds genuine yet still quick on your feet. they might toss a hard question at you...take your time, think, and then respond.