SRS How easy is it to become addicted to pot?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Falconer, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I never did anything other than drinking until I was almost 26. My roommate has smoked weed for a while and I tried it a few months ago. Now, sometimes when he smokes, he'll offer me some. I'd say I probably smoke with him now like 4-5 times a month., and I've been doing this for the past 4-5 months. That sounds like a lot just writing it out now :eek3:. But I feel bad smoking his and so I told him next time he goes to his guy to let me know and I've give him some money so I could get my own 1/8. When I smoke, I mean like 3-4 hits from a bowl or hitter. Is that a lot?

Ok here's the thing. I like it. I'd like to keep it recreationally but I tend to get addicted to things I like (like the internet). I never had a problem with drinking alcohol, but I'm worried that before I know it I'll be smoking weed every day.

So how can I prevent that from happening? I know nobody tries to become addicted to a drug, but I also know these things just end up happening.

2. matt62182

matt62182 New Member

weed isn't addictive. unlike society likes to tell you no one has ever od'd on weed and if you just smoke weed (not cigarettes in conjunction) your risks of lung cancer are slim to none. it all depends on you. if you feel it gets in the way of your work, school, etc. then you know what you gotta do. many people use the excuse that it's illegal and that's why they don't use but these same people drive after drinking, speed on the interstate, don't completely stop at stop signs etc. i have bee smoking since i was 16 and i'm 24 now and if anything i feel smarter, better able to see through situations and more creative.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I'm a little worried cuz I keep seeing threads on here about "help, I can't stop smoking weed," etc.

4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Talk to me about that.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

bump?

6. ndnxtc

ndnxtc New Member

I smoked daily for the past 3 months, and in the last couple of weeks of that period I was smoking an 1/8th a day. My day was pretty much revolving around smoking, who I would smoke with next, where I would smoke next, etc. But it was just something to do... Nights would be dedicated to going to the bar and getting drunk with friends.

Now that I have to find another job I just quit completely, haven't smoked in 2 weeks, and have no urges to smoke. Sure I'd like to smoke because it's enjoyable and a nice pastime, but I don't NEED to, my body isn't saying OMG SMOKE WEED PLEASE I NEED TO SLEEP. And I haven't had the urge to replace it with any other substance. I honestly do not understand what the big deal is with some individuals getting addicted (physically). Mental addiction I guess I can understand, but, in my experience, no physical dependency was observed.

Maybe I just do not have an addictive personality, but I really am not a good judge of that. Most of the aforementioned vices are pastimes and are undertaken to have a good time, whether socially or by myself (typically getting high is the only thing I'll do by myself).

7. faulkton

faulkton New Member

It can become a coping strategy, if you let it, but it isn't addictive in traditional sense.

Even if it does become a coping strategy, who is to say that is necessarily a bad thing? Everyone has some sort of crutch, and weed is a relatively harmless one.

8. solarian

solarian ya heard

weed can take over your life, only if you let it.

taking 3 to 4 hits out of a bowl is almost nothing.

i used to be a heavy smoker, smoked almost everyday for a year. i spent a lot of money on it and so did my friends.

if your going to smoke keep it to a minumum.

now i only smoke once every two weeks or so, and its so much more enjoyable. i spend only about 20 bucks a month on weed and i barely need anything to get high now.

weed is truly the magical drug.

9. limsoup

limsoup OT Supporter

you effectively get addicted if you make a habit out of it. do it for fun but don't hinge anything on a drug unless it's prescribed. and even then, but that's a different story. I guess I know a fair number of smokers, and only a couple are what I'd call addicted, and it's just because they think that if they're going to have fun, they've just GOT to get high to make it better, or that they need it or they'll feel like shit. Maybe these are true now, but they weren't true when they started using it so heavily.
    Basically:
    If you're going to use it "medicinally" in some sense, or because it's useful, use it just because of that. If you use it for fun, just use it for that. but if you think to yourself that you're using it for both, there's a decent chance you just convince yourself that you "need" it for either fun or feeling healthy, and that's when your habit starts.
    Have fun!

10. frpSpore

frpSpore New Member

I smoke daily for long periods of time, and I when I run out I stop. No problems. When the weed finds its way to me, I start smoking again.

The only thing I will say is that my girlfriend and I argue a lot more when we don't have weed than when we do. We are calmer, better listeners, and generally less uptight and irritable.

11. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

:rofl::rofl::420::rofl::420:it totaly makes me smarter dude :420:

12. Damn Dutchman

Damn Dutchman New Member

Weed actually is addictive, but not physically like the nicotine in cigarettes (in case you would smoke weed pure, without any tobacco added, if you can that is hehe)

Weed is addicting to the mental side, it makes you feel mentally superior and cling to that, while in reality it makes you rather asocial, arrogant and most of all introvert.

Ofcourse there are many things about weed you could call positive, like it being rather easy to quit unless you use it 'for anything, as in having a hard time to sleep, or pain. If its for sleep for instance, it will addict you so you cant go to sleep without anymore, if its for pain it will addict you you cant function painless without anymore. But that goes for every 'use.

If you really want to use it for relaxation id say go ahead but dont think it wont addict in some way or another.

"greets, a ex weed and hash smoker.
    (quit 4 yrs ago, including normal smoking)

13. Hypno toad

Hypno toad Guest

i agree with him it is some what emotionally addictive.

14. mikeod

mikeod I take dumps on people like you for breakfast

I can stop when I want to, I know what Im doing

15. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

Smoking weed can be addicting, just like playing video games, or using qtips.

16. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I've never done it myself but I had a friend who was top in our class in high school. He started doing pot and barely graduated at the end. He signed up for college and dropped out, moved to Seattle to deal drugs.

He still only does pot and thats all he has ever done, but he told me he is addicted and the longest he has ever been able to go without smoking is about 7 days.

Just thought I'd throw that in here since I saw someone say it isn't addictive.

17. stevo92

stevo92 Active Member

Weeds not addictive i'v only done it twice and haven't had any urges to do it again at all(even when it was in front of my face)plus i hate the commercials that say why do you smoke weed then the kid goes to be cool....there so stuiped you don't smoke weed to be cool you do it to get fucking high(just thought i might add that in there)

18. spencedawg82

spencedawg82 New Member

I have smoked weed everyday for the past 10 years!! I smoked anywhere around a 1/8 a day. I was recently put on probation for having a lil weed on me. I quit the day that I went to court, and yeah it sucks being around my roommates and all my friends while they are smoking, but if you have a need to quit. I obiously do cause I'm not going to prison just cause I wanna get high, then it's no problem at all.

19. sterlin

sterlin New Member

I smoked for more than 10 years everyday, at least a quarter a day. One day I decided to quit and have not smoked since, it will be 4 years this June. Weed is not an addictive drug.

20. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i smoked about every day for the last 2 years until a month ago. i just had enough and decided to quit. it's not hard

21. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

it's not physically addictive and anything can be mentally addictive... just don't let it become something you have to do. 4-5 times a month is nothing. if you are smoking 4-5 times a day then yes you have a problem. Quitting weed is the easiest thing to quit drug wise. You just need will power.

that being said... I am 3 weeks clean and would sure love a bong rip right now lol. I will never stop loving weed but sometimes you just have to grow up.

22. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

too many violators of rule 3. locking thread:

3) Quantify the degree or severity of a drug and its implications on an individual. Each individual is different, no drug is worse than another (i.e. its the individual's reaction that differs)
    Example: "I smoke weed 2x a day, on the weekends. I want to quit."
    BAD RESPONSE: "Weed isn't that bad. Smoking crank is WAY harder to quit"
    OK RESPONSE: "For me, smoking crank was harder to quit than smoking weed"
    The idea of #3 is that your personal experience is your personal experience but generalizations about how others should be feeling has no place in this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.