How dumb is it for someone who has never been on a bike before....

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Pvt. Joker, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Pvt. Joker

Pvt. Joker RIP Nigger Jim OT Supporter

To buy a 2003 CBR600RR? honestly. I'm not stupid, i plan on taking some courses but is it a dumb move?

The reason i'm buying it is because i know the owner and he just wants to get rid of it because its not being used. $2200. Not sure about the mileage and i know it has some things done to it. Needs fluids flushed and a new battery

2. Frequency

Frequency New Member

117 hp, no throttle control skills yet, aggressive ride position
    You could be ok seeing as how others have escaped darwin before
    or
    you could crash and die a fiery death

3. Monstrddg

Monstrddg New Member

take it easy and youll be fine...or ride like an idiot and you'll be dead before the weekend. your choice

4. squid

squid braap

It'd be smarter to get something a little more tame as a 1st bike. And you WILL become a better rider, faster. Much faster. Better to get an SV or an EX.

That being said, if that bike is a clean title and has no major damage, that's a pretty great price.

5. Pvt. Joker

yeah, i'm not going to be evel knievel on it. I'm older and hopefully somewhat intelligent enough to not get myself into trouble. I wouldn't be pulling off lane splits and stupid shit like that. Never having been on a bike though i was worried about touchy throttle control

The guy selling it is a cop and a friend so i trust him. The price is awesome, he just has no need for it and wants someone who will keep it and not flip it for $$$$. I looked on 600rr.com and they're selling for $4000-5000 it looks like :dunno:

6. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

i learned to ride on my first bike. had barely touched one before this. Went out on a whim and bought a brand new 07 600RR. No wrecks yet, im a safe rider. i dont think i own the road. i respect the bike and its capabilities. I took it slow in the beginning, got the feel of it, listened to other experienced riders, and most of all, used my brains. It may not be the smartest decision, but i couldnt pass up the deal i was offered when i saw the bike.

7. Pvt. Joker

that's pretty much how i'm approaching this. i won't be stupd, but having never riden anything as powerful i'm a little leary. I guess just knowing in the back of your mind how quickly shit can go south is a good starting point :rofl::rofl::rofl:

8. Original

Original OT Supporter

if you dont buy it i'll buy it and flip it :coolugh:

9. Pvt. Joker

part of the deal is that he wants me (or whoever) to keep it. Thats why the price is low. He doesn't feel like putting it up for $4-5k and dealing with idiots i guess

10. squid

squid braap

It's not about not crashing (well it is, but not primarily), it's about developing skills that should last you a lifetime. On a big 600 it will take much much much longer to acquire those skills. I went out and bought a little 500cc single cyl supermoto a year and a half ago and I can't believe how much better I've gotten, and I started riding over a decade ago. On a 600cc I-4.

BTW lane splitting is safer than not lane splitting in urban traffic.

11. Pvt. Joker

i could always pick up a cheap small bike to learn on i guess, but i don't think i can or should pass up on a low mileage rr for $2200.

by lane splitting i meant at freeway speeds :noes:

12. Frequency

Frequency New Member

which is 100% illegal everywhere, the only legal lane splitting in the US is in CA with a speed limit of 10mph

13. Pvt. Joker

illegal, but it happens in austin pretty regularly. not at 100mph

14. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

my first bike was a 99 r6. tame by todays 600 standards but yea a fast bike for me at the time.

I wish I had started off on a motard though :(

15. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

my first bike was a 03 600RR.. PERFECT for a sensible beginner

16. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

600RR could be fine for a first bike, but don't jump into the throttle too quickly. Keep the revs low. The worst that can happen is that you let speed and power get in the way of actually learning to ride a bike.

IMO, I wouldn't want a 600RR for a first bike.

17. GSXtasy

GSXtasy New Member

It's now legal in Texas as well.

18. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

honestly.. for the price, its great. you wont be saving too much buying another smaller CC bike, only to have to spend probably double what this guy is willing to give it to you for. Shit, i say if anything else, buy it and let it sit til you learn on something else if you decide to go that route.

19. squid

squid braap

There's no speed limit on lane sharing in CA. It's merely "reasonable speed".

20. whitepearl

whitepearl OT Supporter

my ex bought a gxr as his 1st bike..

he is still alive.. a year later :dunno:

21. aCab

aCab New Member

Put me in touch with him. I'll be it and ride the snot out of it for years. I'm moving up to Deal's Gap / Tallassee, TN in a few weeks. That bike would pretty much only travel US 129.

22. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

While it's not the recommended way to go, that doesn't mean you will die the first day you have it.

Just be careful and you will be fine. Don't get cocky and don't get too nervous, a supersport is a VERY fast bike if you want it to be, but if you respect it and don't do anything stupid you can learn to ride on one. Keyword: respect.

My woman got a GSXR 600 as her first bike and did great on it.

23. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

People tried to tell me not to buy a brand new 1200cc cruiser for my first bike. They said that I would kill myself on such a big bike and that I needed to work up to it first with like a 750cc or something.

I didn't listen to them.

I had never ridden on a regular basis before but I used to race road bicycles so I was very comfortable on 2 wheels. Still I took the MSF Beginning Rider course and just took it easy on my bike till I felt more comfortable on it.

It's been about 5 years now and I love riding it. I have not crashed even once but I have had a few close calls...not really from me being stupid but other people in cars being stupid.

I ride it all the time and I'm looking forward to putting on quite a few miles this year. In fact, I'm seriously considering a very long vacation on it....something I've never done before. I can't wait!!

Having said all that, a sport bike can get away from you a lot quicker than a cruiser so respect that and you should be ok. I would also recommend that beginning rider course.....it helped me more than I thought it would and when I've been in close calls, my instructors voice comes back...."Just look where you want the bike to go." Best advice ever.

24. Pvt. Joker

thanks everyone, i feel better now knowing other people have done ok.

i'll update as soon as i know more. so far all i know is that its Black/flat black on bottom, 16,000 miles, 2 bros racing exhaust, carbon fiber handles and billet racing pegs. Supposed to be letting me know tomorrow :x:

25. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

It just depends on your personality. If you're responsible enough to take it easy you'll be fine.

I learned on a 600 and I was fine, never went down. I also know a couple other guys that bought 600s to start and they were all fine.

But I've got a friend now who just bought a newish CBR600 2-3 weeks ago. It was pristine when he got it. He already thinks he's "got it" and knows what he's doing now. He totally sucks and he's very immature. He won't listen to anyones advice.

I saw him riding the other day. Caught up to him and got his attention and we pulled over and talked. His bike was fucked up on both sides but he insisted it's only been down one time when he "hit some leaves". I really doubt he's going to survive the summer without serious injury.