How does this plan look for training for a 15K run?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by KGB ate my bread, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread Made you look. OT Supporter

10 miles non-stop on foot in October.. I have roughly 12 weeks and this seems like an OK regimen.

Anyone in here do distance running (5k/10k/15k/Half Marathon)? What's your weekly workout schedule look like?

2. KGB ate my bread

3. Abomb

Abomb New Member

i would send david goggins a pm he could probably give you the best advice on long distance shit man

4. Jroc

Jroc New Member

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

5. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Looks decent. I usually like the plans at coolrunning.com.

When I did distance running (15ks/halfs) my weekly was something like:

Sunday- long run (10+ miles)
    Monday-off
    Tuesday- 7-9 miles
    Weds- 3-4 miles
    Thurs- 7-9 miles
    Fri- Off
    Sat- 7-9 miles

That was at the height of racing season though so I was maxed out on weekly miles.

6. KGB ate my bread

eh.. ultra marathons are something I'd love to consider.. but I'm too young oddly enough. Human body isn't in it's peak shape till you're close to 40.. hence why there are few ultramarathoners that are young.

Hell, he's an oddity being that he's only 32 in some respects

7. Abomb

Abomb New Member

yeah but im sure he would have some good advice for you none the less:cool:

8. KGB ate my bread

I'll check out that site as well. I'm mainly doing this since I used to be an alright distance runner and have decided that it's a good goal to have to want to do a 10K/half marathon within the year.. and seeing as there is a 5k/15k run coming up in october.. I'm going to be crazy and try to prepare for it.

I'll likely have to modify the schedule though since I play soccer on sundays and wouldn't have the energy needed to do both that and a 2+ mile run in the same day :hs:

Hopefully soon though, and again, thanks for the heads up about coolrunning.com

9. KGB ate my bread

I recently read 'Born to Run' which profiled the tarahumara indians who run 50+ mile runs damn near barefoot int he Copper Canyon of Mexico... and it's provided some good insight on diet, gear, attitude that I've taken to heart. One of the more interesting things was that they made some 'drink' from limes + lime seeds which are SUPER RICH in b-vitamins and it helped give them a lot of energy.

Right now, the main thing holding me back in my running is my stamina which is expected since I smoked heavily for 5~ years and I've only recently quit. So far I run 1+ mile till winded, catch breath, run at least another half.. catch breath.. run.. catch breath.. and then finish with a sprint. Typically cover 3 miles when all said and done and run close to 2 of them non-stop.

The whole stamina thing also affects my breathing pattern, which I'm really struggling to find what works best for me; IE: breath in/out via just nose, breath in through mouth, exhale through nose.. inhale through nose.. breath out through mouth.. struggling to find a rythym there is almost becoming a distraction while I run

10. Elfling

Elfling New Member

LOL, did you also notice they drink like fishes? You can't base your training off one crazy-ass ethnic group. It's like trying to adapt Kenyan training. Outliers don't make good patterns to base your training/diet on.

The stamina thing..CV fitness is the hardest thing to build and the easiest thing to lose. Just keep at it, it seems to come sooo slowly. That's how I always build up though- some run, some walk, some run, some walk, and just keep increasing the running distance.

11. KGB ate my bread

:rofl:, true, but the 'beer' they were drinking was corn based and actually quite high in proteins, while the actual ABV/proof was much lower than that of a typical 'light beer'

Yeah.. the cv thing is definitely the way to go.. it's just taking foreverrrrrrr.. I want to say I've been running pretty regularly now since late april/early may and I've noticed some improvement.. but not a whole lot, which is kinda getting frustrating. I guess I blame the heat more than anything though; I ran a while back at a gym and managed to do 2 miles at a 10 minute pace + .5~ mile at a slower pace all because I had a fan blowing on me from about 2 feet away.

So.. I guess I need someone to follow me with a huge portable fan while I run so I can get the distances I need :rofl:

and I should probably also add that I'm really struggling with pace as well... I know 10 minutes right now is far more ideal and helpful in getting me the distance I want to reach.. but I always end up wanting to run faster/harder when I'm at the jogging track because I enjoy it too much :/

guess I need to calm down on the excitement and just work at it better.

Hopefully Nike releases the new Nike+ Wristband and then I'll have an accurate measure of speed/pace/distance/calories/etc while I run since my shoes have the nike+ sensor in them :cool:

12. Elfling

Elfling New Member

If you were running on a treadmill, it was easier because there's less pushoff effort needed and if you don't compensate for the pull by raising the incline, you're essentially running downhill. Also, no wind resistance like running outside.

I used to do a long run on the treadmill every couple of weeks just to vary it up; I seemed to get injured pretty regularly if I used the treadmill too much, it's so much repetitive motion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.