how does this lineup sound?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dan avoN7, Mar 5, 2004.

1. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

Finally its not raining anymore so i need to make my car look good. My car has the usual swirl marks from washing it all the time. Does this order and product lineup sound good?

Start with a good wash and dry.
    1. Meguiars DAC/P
    2. Meguiars Swirl Free Polish #82
    3. Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze (is this worth it?)
    4. S100 Wax or NXT wax (help me decide, i can get S100 but it's a 40 min drive compared to NXT at my local auto shop)

Does this sound good for my car?

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Sounds great, however you might want to think about replacing the #7 with ClearKote's Vanilla Moose, if it's a feasible option for you. I like the wet look of Vanilla Moose compared to #7's "squeaky-clean" look.

Get the S100 or ClearKote's Carnauba Moose, we don't know about NXT's durability yet.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Agree completely and I might also through in trying Meguiars #16 Professional Paste Wax. Excellent product with a very wet look.

I've been using NXT for about 6 weeks now and all the cars I have used it on are still beading nicely and the paint is decently slick. We'll see how it is doing in 6 more weeks.

I've also been rethinking the durability of Carnauba Moose. A Civic I waxed with VM/CMW on July 11th was still beading nicely when I rewaxed it (VM/NXT) on January 20th (6 months!) and a Volvo C40 I waxed using VM/CMW on July 28th was beading still when I detailed it again on Monday (March 1st) which is 7 months. Frankly, I was stunned since I know the owner of the Civic washed is probably twice a month and the Volvo once or twice a month (I asked). Beading is not always an indicator of protection, but both cars are a couple of years old, still looked real good after I washed them and both had some slickness left. Seems Everett is serious when he says to expect 6 months protection. :)

4. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

if i get the carnauba vanilla moose then do i even have to use the swirl free polish after DAC/P? Also right now it's either meguiars #16 paste wax vs nxt. Which should i go for at this point if they are both available to me?

oh and can clearkote's products only be ordered online or do stores carry their product line?

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I would still use SFP after DAC/P as sometimes the DAC/P itself will swirl the paint a bit. I have no experience with Meguiar's #16, Scott should be able to tell you which is a better wax. I know he's been saying they're about even, but I don't know about the durability of either one yet.

ClearKote's products can only be ordered online, I don't know of anyone that distributes them.

6. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

alright i got the dacp, swp, and s100 wax today (decided to just make the drive and try it out) Should i wait and order the clearkote vanilla moose or just go ahead and do the dacp, swp, and s100? My car is pretty dirty and i dont feel like waiting a week or two to get the prodcut. Is there anything else that does as good of job as it that i can pick up locally?

7. Scottwax

Go back to the Harley dealer and pick up a bottle of the S100 Shine Enhancing Cleanser, which is similar to Vanilla Moose in abrasivenss (very light) although SFP leaves the paint looking really good.

CMW or #16 are more durable than S100.

8. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

alright just got done washing the car. I washed it twice since it was pretty dirty and i wanted to make sure it's really clean before starting. Should i wait awhile inbetween steps or is it fine to go from the DAC/P right to the Polish then wax right after. Im doing it by hand so the area i do first will probably have alot of sitting time by the time i get to it with the next product, but just wondering if i need to let the car be for awhile.

9. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

No, you don't need to wait to remove any of the wax or polish. You should be doing one panel at a time, otherwise it's going to be a real bitch to remove the old product, especially if you're doing this outside.

10. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

im working inside my garage so its nice and cool. Just finished the DACP. Got most of the deeper swirls out. Right now there aren't any swirls just some small minature scratches that are going straight. I assume this is what the DACP leaves since its more abrassive. Going to go put on the SFP and then the S100 after. Doing this by hand is a real pain though!!!

11. Scottwax

Well? We are waiting on an update and some pics!

12. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

okay well i had some mixed expierences with the swirl free polish. When i did my hood i thought it looked great and didnt see many swirls. Then i moved to the side panel and i dunno if my towel wasn't soft and thats why i had the results i did with it. The side seemed get almost scratched. After doing that one little panel on the side i decided to just skip the swirl free polish for the day and maybe try it later with a towel i know is 100% smooth terry cloth. I then finished the car by waxing with the s100. The S100 took alot longer to wipe off then the DACP did with the towel. When i finished it was pretty dark so im not sure if i got all the wax off. Ill take pics tommorow when its light out and hopefully the results will be decent.

13. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

If the S100 took longer to get off than the DAC/P, you were probably using too much.

14. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

yea i probably used too much, i wasnt sure since ive never really waxed a car. I am pretty sure the towel i used to apply and wipe off the SWP was a little rough. I was wondering if i get a better towel and use the SWP on the car will that take off the wax and ill have to completly wax the car again? When i look at the car in the day with light on it, it looks pretty good but upclose there are still faint swirls. I assume thats because i only did the DACP and not SWP.

15. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I'm sure that's why you have swirls, I did the same thing once. Yes, you will have to rewax if you apply SFP, it strips wax.