SRS How does therapy help you?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Speed_Demon1965, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Speed_Demon1965

Speed_Demon1965 New Member

I have been to about 4 therapy sessions now and am starting to wonder how it really, honestly helps a person. The only thing I'm finding out is that we will talk about a situation that I'm not happy with in my life and he will give me tips on how to go about taking steps in changing that and he will give me something like a goal to work on or something to come back and tell him about.

I don't feel like I am honestly thinking differently or changing, I just feel obligated to do what he says so I don't have to come back next week and tell him "I didn't do what you wanted me to".

For instance, I told him how I am bored all the time, but I like to do physical activities sometimes for fun. He asked me what I could do and I told him that I could go running everyday or something. So he gave me the goal of going running everyday and to come back and tell him about it.

Am I going to do it? Hell, I don't know. I might and I might not. :hsd:

How does therapy help you guys who go?

2. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

It helps me realize where some of my problems come from, and how to see them in a different way. I'm pretty self-aware. I think all the time anyways, but I kind of get caught up and maybe even lie to myself. If you're honest with them and try to get to the root of things, they can help you see inside yourself a bit better.
    I'm questioning it right now, becuase yeah, they tell me goals I guess. like ok, distract yourself with you're feeling anxiety etc etc... but it puts a lot in to your hands and thats where I've always had difficulty anyways...
    in your situation, I'd realize running might help me, but I'd ask myself the same thing... will I? I'd want to if it helped....

3. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

It depends on how good your therapist is, how well you mesh with him, and what kinds of issues you have.

I had trust issues, low self confidence, tons of anger, and really bad boundaries. Therapy helped me realize why I have some of these issues. It was also nice talking about things you can't really talk about with anyone.

It was kinda like taking all the bad shit inside me that I felt was there but couldn't really make sense of. He helped me bring it out and forumulate it so that I could understand why I have all these issues and to recognize ways to deal with them. It took a lot more than 4 sessions though.

4. Fotenks

Fotenks New Member

I tried so many therapists. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but I didn't meet any of the good ones. I remember one, the two sessions I went to, she just kept glancing at the clock for the entire hour, and didn't feel very passionate about her job. I hope she gets hit by a semi, but lives and becomes a paraplegic. And then gets hit again and becomes a quadreplegic. And then gets hit again and fucking dies.