how does someone get started in fighting?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by SteveO, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveO

SteveO Guest

I know there's a couple fighters on this board, what are some basic skills to learn for something similar to UFC fighting?

2. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

UFC type fighting? Learn martial arts like Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay-Thai kickboxing

3. SteveO

SteveO Guest

are there any videos that can teach that stuff? I never really have time to goto a class

4. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

There are tons of videos available. However that's not really going to help to learn the art. You definitely need a sparring partner, but you also really need an instructor to guide you through the moves and show you where you are going wrong. Especially at the begining.

The videos/books are mainly for gaining some extra knowledge outside of class.

5. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

goto bar...talk shit....fight, repeat few hundred times

6. SteveO

SteveO Guest

:rofl:

well if I had a sparring partner (one of my friends is willing to do it) would the videos teach enough for the 2 of us to learn? :ugh: I guess I gotta wait another year it sounds like when school is finally finished. I wanna be a bad ass wrestler, but have speed and power in my kicks and punches.

7. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

If you start training without proper instruction, you are going to develop a bunch of bad habits. Knowing how to punch hard won't do shit for you if you're dropping your guard or standing off-balance when you go up against someone who knows what they're doing. I would suggest getting started with something like boxing or kickboxing and then progressing into grappling. When I got started with boxing, I was working full time and going to school. I would go Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings.

Good luck.

8. Riot

Riot OT Supporter

lol you guys are gonna feel gay at first

9. SteveO

SteveO Guest

wtf did someone put that ugh in my post? I sure as hell didn't do it.

I'll just wait it out, and get a set of gloves to just take out some anger in the mean time

10. KingLouis

KingLouis Al Capone with a badge

What are you after? I'm assuming self-defence as opposed to martial arts. Try Krav Maga or CQC - they're used by the military and police in several places around the world. They are quite effective in real fights. Of course there's the matter of being in the mindset of the fight, and these 2 self-defence systems do try train you not to lose yourself (by not shitting your pants or getting cold feet) when say outnumbered or when facing an armed attacker.

If you're after martial arts, ie appreciating the art moreso than the practicality, well it's all up to you. Wing Chun is one martial art that has been argued to be both practical for self-defence and something to be appreciated as an art.

11. KingLouis

KingLouis Al Capone with a badge

Here's the link for CQC http://www.cqcti.com/, as for the others - I'm sure a quick google of "krav maga" and "wing chun" can get you started. Btw, for any martial art or self-defence it is pretty important to have an instructor, some equipment and a sparring partner. Learning from videos is much more difficult as shadow fighting doesn't allow you to experience what it's like to be grabbed, choked or lunged at with a weapon. So I suggest taking classes - it shouldn't be too expensive. Good luck man! :bigthumb:

12. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

KM or wing chun :rofl: Nobody uses any of that crap in MMA and never will.

Start out in BOXING. do it for about a year. Progress to kickboxing or muay thai. Once you are comfortable on your feet and comfortable getting hit, then progress to some grappling like submission wrestling or BJJ. Judo is very useful too.
    edit - once you have some actual experience under your belt then tapes may be able to learn you something, but not at first. no way.

13. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Look for a school in your area man. I started in November last year, Pankration, Muay Thai Kickboxing etc. I the months I have been training, I have learned so much, yet I know nothing. If you can find a MMA school (mixed martial arts) in your area go in and try it out, and prepare to be humbled.
    Also, prepare to up your calories or lose weight - its a lot of work!

14. SteveO

SteveO Guest

It's just lack of time right now, not really a money issue. I'll just stick with backyard boxing until I gather some time to get started.

15. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Find a decent school and start training Muay Thai, once you get a good base, start training BJJ. Once you have trained for a few years, ask your instructor if there are any upcoming amatuer events, like Gracie Open etc., ones that you can enter without a sponsor. Once you have a few wins under your belt and some actuall experience, then you can have your instructor try to contract you into smaller shows like Gladiators Challenge, KOTC, etc.

16. joy division

joy division New Member

If you don't have time to go to a class don't bother...fighting takes serious dedication.

Or you can be like alot of people and say you "fight" when you go to a BJJ class 3 times a week and don't even condition or anything.

Boxing is a good idea, but the stance you learn for traditional boxing in the US is going to be shit when people are shooting on you...hey you have to start somewhere. Doing this shit on your own isn't a great idea, you will learn bad habits which will lead to shitty technique and possible injury.

17. SteveO

SteveO Guest

yeah which is why I'm gonna put it off for a year and hold out until school is done. I'm going to school full time and work full time, having something occupy me on my days off wouldn't be very nice

18. joy division

joy division New Member

yeah I've had to stop training when i was working/going to school. It is too much, especially when you add in lifting.

19. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Watch Bas Rutten's Lethal Street Fighting tape, go to bars, and test the techniques out :p Just be sure not to accidently kill anyone.

20. joy division

joy division New Member

Just don't expect to be able to do shit to someone who actually trains for real. Probably fine for attacking drunk tools in a bar I guess...i would never go to the ground in that situation.

21. you're a bjj fighter now too?! fuck man. you are getting up to par with vin diesel.

22. Bobert

Bobert OT Supporter

If you and a friend wanted to learn how to do it there are lots nad lots of instructional videos you could use to learn, but it would be much more beneficial to have a knowledgable training partner. You'll only be as good as who you train with so if you're training with somebody who doesn't know what the hell he's doing, neither will you.

23. Bobert

Bobert OT Supporter

That video is hilarious, and there are shitloads of useful tricks in there. Tony Cecchine's Ripping Induced Pain (RIP) is fucking crazy, but i don't think I would do much of that in a fight, especially considering that most of the stuff is illegal in competitions.

There used to be a great torrent site for MMA fights and instructionals but it got taken down due to "abuse."

You could probably stilll find alot of the videos floating around somewhere, but I couldn't help you with finding where. (unless I take the time to upload them to my dreamhost server, which takes forever)

24. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I've got the Rutten video along with his MMA Workout series and the Big Book of Combat on my computer.

I could set up a torrent sometime if there was enough interest, or have someone host it.

25. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Getting into top condition and flexibility will do more for you when you actually do train. do plyometrics for explosiveness. and various gpp to improve your knowledge of leverage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.