How does Rice win in a Hotrod cruise in?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by BradUF, Mar 21, 2007.

1. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Even though any car can enter it is still messed up. 90% of the cars are American but for like the last 2 years rice has won Best of show awards. The first year was an RX8 then the next one was a really riced out Honda civic with two 4 foot NOS tanks, speakers, body kid. Maxed out on the rice. Yet my friend with a mint 1970 GTO didn't win one award. Are car shows based on how much money you can poor into stupid shit like 4 foot NOS tanks and a backseat that is made of all speakers?

2. Maybe you're going to the wrong kind of car shows.

3. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Who is doing the voting? The import drivers and the 90 friends they brought with them?

I had a Mustang that I used to show and was parked next to a piece of junk that had a Mickey Mouse mural painted on underside of his hood. There were a lot of little kids there so all of the parents were voting for the guy (he ended up with 2nd place, I ended up with 1st) becuase their kids begged them to.

Unless I was in a judged show (not voted on by participants or spectators), I didn't expect to win anything and was just there to show off my car, BS with friends and check out other cars. If I won it was just icing on the cake.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Probably because people have seen 1970 GTOs since 1970. Has the guy done anything in the past 37 years to make it a nicer car than it originally was, or does it just look like it was sitting in a museum all that time?

I bet people were impressed with the effort the riceburner put into his car, not so much by the parts that he added.

5. BLACKMKIV

BLACKMKIV New Member

a civic should never win a hotrod cruise in

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

they should just always keep everything seperate by region of export at all times

7. thedguy

thedguy New Member

Only because they aren't roadsters. A GTO (original or new) ain't a hot rod either, it's a muscle car, the very thing that practically killed hot rods for quite a while.

I honestly doubt any true hot rod would win any kind of cruise as it would be spartan to save weight, and well that doesn't seem to do much for people at shows. When was the last time AMBR or Riddler was won by a car that is driven quickly at a track, before being entered in the show, or anytime after it for that matter?

Straying from the true defination of a hot rod a bit to allow things like stripped 3 window coupes or Tudor sedans with an SBC, Toyota v8, or in the case of a Boyd "Alumacoupe" of the early 90's that had a Mitsubishi tweaked 4g63 in the back, means no reason to deny a civic built purely to go "fast" for cheap should be able to be called a hot rod.

I'm not a fan of show cars much anyhow, I respect a homebuilt civic that can run low 13's for less than a few grand, than someone who paid Foose or Coddington to build them an AMBR/Riddler winner.

Personal opinion, like assholes, everyones got one. Mine will probably hated by quite a few.

8. CJPA

CJPA New Member

I just wish there was a "Biggest Faggot" award that we could give ricers at car shows :rofl: