How does polish work?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Jackhole, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Like how does it make your car shine? I ask because I ran it along the black painted metal on my door, and the pad with polish on it became black. I'm wondering if it's stripping paint off. If yes, can you polish too much and if no, why did black paint come off on my pad?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Magic.

If I tell you more, I risk a painful death.

Polish has a mild abrasive and chemical cleaners that remove oxidation and small amounts of paint at the surface to reduce or remove scratches.

You can polish too much if you use an very abrasive polish-but real light polishes and glazes can be used several times a year if you wish.

The reason the pad was black after polishing was that the polish was doing it's job of removing dead or oxidized paint. If paint is not clear coated, you can expect a small amount of paint on the pads or towels. Without actually seeing the car, I can't tell you if you are removing too much when polishing. Try a light glaze-they have extremely fine abrasives.

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I'm using Meguiar's #7. Since you recommended it, I'm assuming it's ok to use?

4. Argyle

Argyle Guest

thats what i used (since scottwax recommended it as well). it worked pretty good. went on really good but was kinda tough to buff it out completely. i still haven't waxed it yet and its pretty shiny. nice look. it could have a wetter look to it but its still good. when i wax it later this even, i think its going to look damn good. if i could just get rid of the water marks, my car would look flawless.

5. Scottwax

Yeah, it's okay. It has very, very little cutting power. I prefer Meguiars Hand Polish (Body Shop Pro line), but unless you have a local Meguiars distributer, it is harder to get.

Argyle: Next time you use #7, use very light coats and work it into the paint until it looks nearly clear and dry.

6. dougfir

dougfir i luf korean grills

wow this is an old thread, but let me bump it up cause i have a question...

so since polishing slightly strips the paint, would not polishing at all prolong the life of the paint job?

7. Scottwax

No, because you'd get grime building up on the paint that would begin to degrade the paint. Polishing removes contaminents, ground in dirt, etc and makes it easier for the wax to adhere and protect the paint.

8. dougfir

dougfir i luf korean grills

hmm... i see. wow you are a cool guy for answering all these posts. kudos to you!

here's a little story:
    i used to own a 1990 ford bronco 2. that year's model, the paint had some problems where it would bleed easily. so if you tried to wash it, the paint would come off on the cloth you use to wash it with. so we just didn't wash it anymore.

now i have a different car and have gained interest in keeping it's paint job in good order. thanks again!

9. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Way to go, Ford! :ugh2:

10. Scottwax

The problem with the Bronco was that it had a single stage paint job. No clearcoat to prevent oxidation.