How Does Optimum Polish Compair to Meg's #9, #80, #83?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by MSIGuy, Feb 20, 2008.

1. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

So, I've been reading up on a little more of Meg's pro line, and it kinda sounds like what I'd like to try is some Meg's #80 (but on what pad I'm not sure) followed with some #9 if needed, followed with some #7, couple coats of NXT 2.0 and a topper of S100.

Now I've got some Optimum Polish that I've been wanting to try too, (still a first timer on correction) and I was thinking of doing a 50/50 (prob on a test panel) of some Meg's #80 then #9 and #7 versus some OP (don't know what pad either) followed by some #7 to see what I like more.

So first question is, how do they compare, and then what pad should I use on each? I've got pretty much the whole LC color set.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You can vary the cut of Optimum Polish via pad pretty easily. With a cutting pad, it is similar to #83/polishing pad and with a polishing pad, OP has a touch more cut that #80 and definitely more than #9.

3. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

That's kinda what I figgured. Maybe you can give me an opinion about this. After reading on Meg's forum there was a whole bunch of a talk about not using any sort of a cutting pad on a DA as anything over a polishing pad ended up leaving marring. What's the big deal about that though? Can't you just hit it with #9/OP on a polishing pad? That would finish down to LSP ready wouldn't it?

4. Scottwax

On harder paints, I get little to no marring with the UDM using a cutting pad, softer paints can be a problem using anything more than a polishing pad though.

5. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Well, I just picked up some Meg's #80 to compare to some Optimum Polish, see what I like more.

I've got 2x of LC CCS Yellow, Orange, and White pads, and 1x of the Gray, Blue, and Red.

Color/Cut gauge chart here.

I was figuring on using the White pad with #80 followed with #9 on the other white or gray then glazing with #7 and finishing up with some NXT on the red pad. Or should I step up to #80 on the orange pad, #9 on the white, #7 on the gray and NXT 2.0 on the red.

Then for the Optimum Polish I figured I'd start off with a white pad and and if need be step up to an orange. Will that generally finish down enough to leave it LSP ready or should I hit it with a white or gray pad to remove any marring (if there is any) then glaze and seal?

I'm planning on trying this on a test panel (once I can get my hands on one) and I'll be sure to take pictures and post the results (figure its been done quite a bit, but someone might like the comparison).

I know this is a ton to ask and kinda wordy, but any input suggestions would be great! Thanks!

6. Scottwax

There is no way to answer your question. It depends on the paint hardness and condition and I have no way of knowing what you actually have in front of you. General rule of thumb is to start with a mild to medium combo and go up as needed-polish first, then pad.

7. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Okay, go up by polish first then pad. That makes sense. I've got a white Scion and from what I understand its kind of a mid range hardness. The swirls are probably light to a light moderate.

I guess I was just looking to see what I should do with the Meg's stuff go up in pad first or product. Thanks for the help!