how does one naturally increase metabolism?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mars Princess, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

I don't want to resort to diet pills or any kind of pill. I have fears of forming a habit from them so I don't take them. I have started to work out more consistently (right now, it's low impact 3 times a week until I can get a gym membership) but what is a way to increase metabolism? Mine is slow

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

lift weights

3. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

lift weights to increase muscle mass, eat many small meals every 3 hours instead of large meals 3 times a day, cardio (to a certain extent)

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

Assuming your diet is fine, then weight training & high intensity interval cardio would probably be your best bet.

5. Mars Princess

I have used weight lifting machines at the gym I used to go to and I got up to maybe 40 to 45 lbs on me, but I haven't used traditional weights. is there a certain weight I should look to start at to and advance to, in terms of effectively increasing metabolism?

Does it matter that I'm a girl. I heard that I shouldn't lift weights too much if I want to lose weight. Im not trying to put on more mass and get bigger :wtc:

6. Mars Princess

my diet is fair. I'm getting back on track and trying to change bad habits more than the content of my diet.

7. RandomDead

RandomDead Have your pets spayed or neutered

That's a big myth. Weight lifting is a very very effective weight loss exercise. It not only burns calories while you are working out but while building your now more active muscles your body will burn more calories while resting, in effect increasing your metabolism.

My advice is to start on a weight level that is just comfortable, not too easy but not a strain, and try to do a large number of reps as opposed to lots of weights for small reps. This will not only prevent you from getting bulky, it's better for increasing metabolism.
    As well you're less likely to over exert yourself so you will not be sore the next day, and if you feel good the next day you're more likely to go back to the gym.

8. shadowx

shadowx Guest

rasins, prunes, dates, wheat bread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.