how does honda mke so much power out of there 4 cylinders in F1?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by :fawk:, Jan 20, 2002.

1. :fawk:

:fawk: Guest

is it possible to do that kinda shit to a street car?

2. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

Did I read that right, 4 cyl engines in F-1? Formula-1 racing? Micheal Schumacher's day job? Ferrari's money pit????

Honda? 4 cyl????????

Erm. :ugh:

Class, sit down, its time for Formula-1 101.

NOONE in Formula-1 today runs a 4 cylinder engine. The rules (formula) doesn't go for it.

The "formula" for Formula-1 right now is the 3.0 litre 10 cylinder normally aspirated engine with no restrictions on RPM or intake size.

As far as I can remember, noone has ever run a 4 cyl engine, turbo charged or not, in Formula-1 since it began in 1958.

Can you do that in a street car?

Sure, fork over about $2 million or more (not kidding) to Honda, and they might give you one of their Formula-1 engines as seen in the BAR-Honda or the Jordan-Honda teams...... :big grin:

Oh, but dont forget you'd need the right transmisison to go with it, thats another $2-4 million for the cheaper ones. And you'll need the high capacity radiators, another large sum of cash, then the highly syntheic oil which is like $400 a quart, oh, and oil coolers, another few thousand, and the hydralics to run the engines and tranny, another million $$$ or so, and the electronics and computer software for the whole system, that costs more than some rich neigborhoods combined...

get the point? :fawk: :fawk: :fawk:

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

http://www.f1-grandprix.com/history5.html#Turbos

Please read.

The turbo era was between 1977 and 1988. Most all of the turbocharged engines where 2.0L engine blocks destroked to 1.5L, running insane amounts of boost and putting out over 1000 BHP.

The particular honda engine that was used during the turbo period was heavily bassed off of the original Prelude block. Howver, producing an engine like that for a street car is impossible.
    F1 engine are built to a level of engineering not seen in ANY other motorsport. They are machined so perfectly that they dont even use gaskets.
    Plus you have the multimillion doller clutchless transmissions, the experimental blend of synthetics, the methanol fuel they used back then.

So basicly take any dream of putting any honda racing engine into a street car.

hehe, thats just funny.

4. kokujin

kokujin Guest

It's a matter or engineering expertise (very high dollar), materials (Huge Dollar), and durability (Ridiculous Dollar) It can be done, but you results wouldn't be anything worth the millions (literally) you'd have to put in, and you couldn't count on it to run for more than 500 miles between rebuilds.

hmm...maybe not millions - but you would have to do the development yourself. Even this far after the fact, I doubt that Honda's technical info is public domain or anything. Your best bet is to look at what all-motor drag racers are doing.

5. Guido The Penguin

Just get a T-62 turbo and a Spoon engine with a Motec exhaust system, with NOS..... :big grin:

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

ROTFLMGDMFAO!!!

Oh that made my night!

7. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Just buy a Supra or a Motorex GT-R. I'm sure you could squeeze those kinds of power number out of either of 'em. :)

8. Guest

Guest Guest

In 1983, BMW doiminated Formula 1 with their 1.4L M10 engine, which block was seen in the 100hp '84 318i. The F1 motor, which used a very large turbo running 45 pounds of boost in qualifying conditions made an insane amount of horsepower.

An interviewer asked Paul Rosche (designer of the engine) how much horsepower it made. Paul replied with, "I do not know, the dyno sheet runs out at 1200"

9. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I remember a little factoid from somewhere that said that the average F1 engine burns up over 8 quarts of oil in one race. Which i suppose isnt all that bad considering teh engine vary rarly if ever drop below the 9,000 RPM mark while racing.

10. Guido The Penguin

That and you'd think a Formula-1 team could afford 8 quarts of oil per race.....

Well, maybe no Prost's team now... ;)