How does Compaq do it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Nov 19, 2004.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

How do they take a computer which on paper doesn't look that bad and make it perform like total shit? Example: Brand new Presario, Sempron 2800+, 256MB, 40GB, XP Home feels 1/2 as snappy as my P4-1.8, 512MB, XP Pro with two years of Windows decay/bloat on the clock and lots of programs running all the time. Yeah they load lots of crap on it like Norton Internet Security, iPod service, etc, etc, etc. but is that all? Its like they have crippled components or some shit. Amazing.

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Sempron is your problem.... plus only the 256mb ram

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah but shouldn't a Sempron 2800+ at least be able to hold its own against a P4-1.8 doing simple stuff like launching Word. 256MB isn't great, I know, but its OK for basic stuff and I see Dell 2400's with 256MB run circles around these Compaqs.

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

you probably have a 5400 RPM hard drive in the compaq machine.

when i get new machines, i don't even bother turning them on if the hard drive isn't decent. my laptop came with a 4200 RPM hard drive. first thing i did when i took it out of the box was swap out the hard drive with a 7200 RPM hitachi. in addition to ending up with a snappier hard drive (apps and files open much faster), it also gives you a perfect excuse to do a fresh reinstall so you don't have all the extra crap on there.

5. JPrice1485

JPrice1485 New Member

It seems all new Compaq's are like this... Format + reinstall = problem fixed.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

You're probably right about the disk. I haven't installed anything less than a 7200rpm drive in a desktop in years so I guess I've forgotten how slow the 5400's are. Besides, my current drives have 8MB cache.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sempron 2800+ is decent.

ram, crappy parts, crappy mobo, horrible os/software install.

format/reinstall does help a bunch.

8. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

By description actually doesn't sound that great..

Half the ram of your P4 says a lot right there, plus it's probably a relatively slow chip.. Add a slow, small default HDD and Sempron and bingo! :)

9. brendon2k

brendon2k I

The lack of ram is hurting the computer a lot. They shouldn't even sell computers with less that 512 with how cheap ram is.

10. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

The ram isn't the problem. XP doesn't require 512mb of ram. XP home sucks though. Maybe that's your problem. And Norton slows you down quite a bit

11. skooter

skooter Guest

Numbers dont mean a thing, they use the lowest grade parts for hard drives (5200 rpm more than likely), video card (prally shared memory, no real brand but built on to the motherboard), sound card (built on motherboard, could be any brand with any specs), The motherboard is probably extremely slows with a 133 mhz bus or something, and the ram is probably like pc2100 (ie pc133), oh not to mention they bloat the install with all the software they could get their hands on. This would be a decent computer if they has used some decent parts, but hey if they did then people probably would not need to buy another computer from them in a year of so.

12. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

xp home really is very close to being identical to pro

and the ram is one of the problems...just because xp doesn't require 512 doesn't mean that 512 or more won't help xp's performance immensely...hell, i started with 512, then upgraded another 512 and then another...now i have a gig and a half and each time, it runs noticably faster

13. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

oh, and to answer the question...dell > compaq, hence their better performance

14. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:slap: Min RAM requirements is not the same as preferred performance recommendations.

Just because XP Home or Pro "requires" X amount of RAM does not mean the machine will run at blazing speeds because it met the minimum.

And Norton won't slow you down unless, well, you don't have enough ram. :uh:

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:werd:

:slap::slap::slap::slap:

I've seen norton slow down a 3.4GHz machine with 2GB RAM (and no viri)... Norton is crap compared to other AV solutions that are out there.