how do you think this set up will sound? (Power Acoustik)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gekido04, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Gekido04

Gekido04 Guest

-Power Acoustik - 980-Watt Bridgeable 2-Channel MOSFET Amplifier

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...72829&productCategoryId=cat03085&type=product

with two:
    -Power Acoustik FUBR Series 1800-Watt 12" Heavy-Duty Dual-Voice-Coil Subwoofer FUBR12

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...44246&productCategoryId=cat03081&type=product

OR: Two:
    -Power Acoustik FUBR Series 1800-Watt 10" Dual-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer FUBR10

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...44674&productCategoryId=cat03081&type=product

getting them w/ the employee discount :o

2. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

it will be loud.... otherwise.... :hs:

3. Gekido04

Gekido04 Guest

?????

4. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

boomy and inaccurate.

5. btimp

btimp i am my other half

what kind of box and in what car....i work for best buy install....

6. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

That amplifier won't be able to power two of either of those subs well. It has 560watts bridged RMS into 2 ohms (I assume), whereas the first sub has a 700 watt rating. Plus, it is a DVC coil, with each coil being 2 ohms. Wired in series that would make it 4 ohms, bringing the amp down to about 280watts, wired in parallel it would be a 1-ohm load which that amplifier is not stable handling. Plus, you are talking about two of them, which means two subs that can handle a total continous power of 1400watts connected to an amp which can only produce 560watts (assuming you biwire and bring the two 4-ohm DVC loads in parallel down to a 2-ohm load that the amp can handle). So, in effect, you are pushing subs with an amp that is rating for 1/3 their max RMS power.

What are you going for here? SPL? If so, fine, go with those subs, but you will need a bigger amp to handle them, unless I am doing my circuit analysis very wrong. If you want sound quality to round out your bottom end, you are headed in the wrong direction.

7. Gekido04

Gekido04 Guest

thanks alot! i plan on just putting them in a sealed box. its an 88 accord. i just want hella bass. so what cn i do? get a better amp? (i can only work with what best buy has to offer) :(

8. 04

04 Guest

That amp should work ok. If you wire the voice coils on the woofers in series, and then wire each subwoofer in series with each other, you will get an 8 ohm nominal load. The amplifier will probably put out close to 440 watts bridged into 8ohms, since its 4ohm stereo rating is is 220 watts per channel. Even then, the difference will be about 1 decibel at best compared to the amp driving a 4 ohm nominal load (560watts), and that small difference probably wont even be something you'd be able to hear.

Plus, with a largish sized sealed box, I'd venture to say that 220 watts per subwoofer would be enough.

9. Gekido04

Gekido04 Guest

thanks alot. at $55 per 12" and $125 for the amp i say its a good deal

10. btimp

btimp i am my other half

you could go with a the biggest rockford amp and 2 p212"s

11. Gekido04

Gekido04 Guest

nah that amp is like 200 and im on a budget. those p2s are like 80 a piece :o

12. veonake

If it is 220W/ch.@4ohms, it would be [email protected] (right?), which would be 220W/ch.@8ohms. Where am I going wrong here? If I am right, I really think 220W per speaker is underpowering subs that are rated for 700RMS. But, maybe I'm missing something.

13. veonake

Um, a socket in your house can put out more than 700RMS. I think breakers are rated generally to 20 amps, so that would be P=IV=(20*120)=2400Watts when the breaker trips. Either way, many people have sound systems that are over 700RMS, mine is 750, or closer to 800RMS because both my amps are underrated. Their amps may be rated to their subs, but for one thing, he may have not paired them correctly. Secondly, their amps may be meant to be paired with ONE sub, which that amp is capable of handling ok. Except that you would have to put it as a 4ohm load decreasing the power, since it can't handle a 1ohm load.

14. veonake

Possibly the most discrete sarcasm I've encountered, but alright. I saw the ":mamoru:" as you trying to mock me.

15. Gekido04

Gekido04 Guest

ok....so YEs or NO on this set up???

16. veonake

Since you don't care about sound quality, I'd say no to the amp because it seems underpowered to me. 04 disagrees with me and I am awaiting his reply to see if I did my math wrong or he did.

17. 04

04 Guest

For prices like that, its really hard to beat. Even if the amp only puts out half of its rated RMS power, it'd still be a good value at 125 dollars IMO.

Have you heard the subwoofers at the store, and did you like the way they sounded there?

18. veonake

Wouldn't it be almost irrelevant what it sounded like in the store since once it is in his car it can sound completely different? I mean, I guess it doesn't hurt, but it is tough to measure.