MMA how do you tell a guy thats hellbent on fighting that he's not ready?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Mejnoon, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

My buddy Eric has trained off and on for a long time...probably 5 years atleast. Bottom line, he sucks. He's extremely slow, has no hand eye coordination and has a trick jaw (he eats a stiff jab and gets punch drunk). I've never seen him do well against ANYONE sparring, no exaggeration. He did a nogi tourney a few months ago and got tapped in under a minute in his first match.

I don't say all this to insult the guy...he's my friend and he's been there to help me train before fights/tournaments in the past. I just want to get across how woefully unprepared he is.

He's been talking to some local promoters, and apparently has been promised a fight in March. He's asked myself and another friend/training partner to get him ready and corner him. I called the other guy and basically told him that if Eric insists on doing this I'd be there to help him, but that I felt like we needed to try to talk him out of it. I don't want to see him be someone's tomato can, and I don't want to see him get hurt.

We're both going to watch the fights with him tomorrow, and we've agreed to try to talk some sense into him, but I don't know exactly what to say that won't come across as insulting.

Anyone ever been in this position before?:hs:

2. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

dont tell him, corner him, be there for him, let him get his ass kicked. sometimes thats what it takes.

3. roose

roose Guest

Either hurt his feelings now, or let him get his ass kicked. :o

4. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

if you tell him he's not ready and he still fights it may play with his head. help him get as ready as possible.

5. XJ3B

XJ3B wat

MAKE HIM READY

CUE 'EYE OF THE TIGER' TRAINING MONTAGE

6. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah I have a freind like that. he is a pro fighter but he never trains properly for a fight. He was a bad ass kick boxer when he was younger but then he jumped over to mma and does very little ground work and relys on atleticism and his stand up to win fights. He trains for every fight the same way he would train for a muay thai fight.

Now a days he doesnt even spar before fights he will just show up and fight. I tried to tell him look Ill spar with you or bring in a few guys to spar with you to get you ready but he thinks he knows better. his records like 4 - 5 right now. With those type of people they are stuborn.

You can give him a word of advice but in the end if he is so gung ho about it you got to let him do it. Hopefully he will get a reality check and then that will calm him down a bit.

7. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

:werd: 3 months is just about the right amount of time for him to get ready

8. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Every sport needs losers.

9. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

hurt him in training so that he wont be able to fight.

or use these next 8 weeks to get him better prepped.

10. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

beat the hell out of him in sparring and afterward say "I'm sorry man, but if I can do that to you, you should not be fighting. You need more work."

Someone has to beat his ass. Better it be a friend and wearing headgear.

11. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

It all depends how his brain works.

Before my first fight my Dad told me "If it takes you getting your ass kicked just once for you to realize you should't do this I'll buy a ticket." I trained harder than ever and after wards my father apologized for his comment.

You could always just be straight up. Tell him "You're a good friend to me and I'd hate to see you get hurt. I've been here the whole time you have and I just don't think your ready for a fight. You take too much time off, and (insert something here). Keep training with no breaks, get your game together and after that we'll get you a fight and make sure you destroy the guy. Don't make yourself someone else's stepping stone."

12. VulgarTheClown

or something to that extent.

be caring and compassionate. Understand where he is coming from.

He's likely trying to prove something to himself or to try and get your guys to respect/like him more.

be Empathetic to him and sympathetic to his situation.

13. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

50% of the people who step into the ring lose.

14. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

werd whether it be from the mental factor shitty training or something else

15. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Just beat the shit out of him a few days in a row

16. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Tell him you will help him as much as you can to get ready for the fight but honestly you dont think hes ready. If hes still wants to get in there let him. Hopefully he doesn't get hurt 2 bad because then it might be on you:hsd:

17. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Just tell him he's not ready. I've had a few friends in the gym tell my coaches they want to fight. Coaches just simply say the guys aren't where they need to be, or for the persistent ones, that they wouldn't want that guy's technique representing the gym.

18. THE LIOG

THE LIOG EVVVVVVVVEERRYYOONNNNNNNE EEEEE

that one's gotta sting

19. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

My trainer has told people before that were insisting on fighting when they weren't ready that he would train them leading up to it, but they couldn't fight under the gyms name

20. VulgarTheClown

Coming from a coach thats OK. This would be coming from a friend.

Hey man just have the coach tell him no.

21. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I know a guy like that too...badass striker, but no ground game, no desire/effort to pick one up, no work ethic in the gym, etc. This guy is different though...he's got no core skillset. He's not athletic at all. He's been training technique for a long time, and never seems to improve much. He still makes rookie mistakes striking and on the ground.

No. Keep in mind this guy has been training for a while, and hasn't really gotten much better. We can make improvements in his strength and conditioning, and drill a specific gameplan...but we're not gonna make major strides in 3 months.

That almost sounds like a good idea:o

I completely understand why he wants to do this, and I don't blame him. I've been there. I know he'll put in the effort, but I honestly question whether his body can even handle the kinda training he's gonna have to go through. Dude is just not naturally athletic/durable at all:hs:

I'm definitely sympathetic to his situation and I really don't want to hurt his feelings. You hit on something important though...the promoters he is talking to will absolutely make him someone's stepping stone. He's trying to do this independent, because quite frankly no gym/trainer would have him fight under their banner. Thats why he's asked us to train him. There are a lot of small time reservation shows around here who will gladly give an independent, first time fighter a fight...but he's gonna get fed to some savage that the promoter has plans for. Guys that come in without an established name/rep behind them get thrown to the wolves.

I wish there was a trainer/coach that could be the bad guy and just tell him no. This guy has trained at pretty much all the local gyms at one time or another, under a variety of different people. He's done the "tell me when I'm ready coach" thing before...they never told him he was ready, and I think he's tired of waiting. So he's trying to set it up on his own. Unfortunately there are shady promoters around that will let him.

I'm thinkin we may talk to his girlfriend. She's a good woman, they've been together for a while and she genuinely cares about him. I don't know which side of this she's on, but maybe if she knows what we know she'll try to talk some sense into him. He's the type of dude that tends to listen to his girl.

Thanks one and all for the advice/input...I'll let you guys know how it goes:hs:

22. exxoizzle

exxoizzle Free mustache rides

get him ready :hsugh:

23. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

if he has the nuts to step into a ring for a fight, let him ... he might surprise you :dunno:

24. VulgarTheClown

He could be the guy that just needs that pressure you know?

25. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I wish I could believe that that was a possibility, but its not. I wish I had some tape of him sparring...then you would understand. Some people need pressure...he needs a helmet.