GUN How do you store your pistol?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TireSmokinSRT, Aug 24, 2003.

1. TireSmokinSRT

TireSmokinSRT Bring in the stunt cock

my USPC .45 is my first pistol, and i usually just keep it closed in the case with the magazine out of it...

I recently inherited an older Glock 17 from my brother and he kept in in the case with the slide locked open...will any damage result in keeping it locked open? It seems that it would be a lot easier to have ready in case of an emergency that way...any thoughts?

2. Infrastructure

Infrastructure New Member

I keep my XD with a mag in but no round chambered. The shotgun has 3 rounds but none chambered.

3. TireSmokinSRT

TireSmokinSRT Bring in the stunt cock

have any idea about having it locked open? seems to me like that might put a lot of strain on that mechanism

4. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I keep mine holstered and ready to fire when I'm home, and either in a lockbox or with me in the car when I'm out. When you need it, you need it NOW and you don't want to be f-ing around with the slide.

As for keeping the slide open, it's not very secure. Jarring the gun, or a kid or animal messing with it can make the slide slam shut (and it slams hard) and hurt somebody. And it can't be good for the spring, but then I doubt it'll damage the spring any more than keeping loaded magazines or cocked firing pin. :dunno:

5. -RUNNR

-RUNNR Insanely truthful

I keep mine with the slides forward. Can't imagine keeping them all with the slides open.

Two of them are kept loaded and chambered.

All are locked up in one type of case or another.

6. JW2

JW2 New Member

I keep one unlocked, loaded, and chambered. The others I keep encased.

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

storing it with the slide back will compress the spring, but with most springs, compression doesn't wear them out, it's the compression and decompression. i'd store it with the slide forward anyways, if for nothing else than to keep dust from getting in another place inside your pistol than the barrel.

that said, keeping an AR cocked all the time will wear out the hammer spring faster, so it's possible that it could have adverse effects on a pistol. but, the recoil spring on a pistol is heavier than the hammer spring on an AR.

8. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i keep all of mine stored "slide forward". the only one loaded is my 12ga home defense gun. and there isn't one in the chamber. if you store yours "slide open" it shouldn't hurt it, but as stated before that opens up a lot of area to dust/dirt. just something to think about.

9. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

My bedside Glock 23 is loaded with a round chambered. It sits under the bed inside a lockbox with fingertip combination buttons when i'm not home and somewhere within easy reach when i am home. ;)

Keeping the slide back on a pistol isn't a good idea, more for the debris getting into the action/chamber than spring wear, as everyone else said.

You USP will be perfectly safe to keep with a round chambered as long as the whole gun is not within reach of children or some such. However you keep your pistol stored, make sure you practice getting it into action so you don't fumble if you really need it.

10. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

:werd: Don't forget though, that a lock is no replacement for teaching your children about firearms safety. They're naturally curious, and if they think they're being excluded from something cool, they WILL find a way to access it.

i taught myself to pick locks and crack safes at 10 years old. :o

11. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I keep my Glock(s) loaded with one in the pipe at all times, the guns I don't carry are locked up in the safe.

12. CHOWBOX

CHOWBOX OT Supporter

most are cased
    my Kahr is always with me in it's holster one in the pipe. When I'm sleeping it's on the nightstand

13. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

The long rifles stay locked in their cases in the back of the durango.

All my pistols/rifles/shotguns except for my duty pistol are locked in a safe cuz of the kids.

I keep the pistol in the nightstand at night, or on my hip. If not, it's locked, and loaded in a safe and/or car.

I agree with kelly, practice loading, charging, etc your gun if you keep it unloaded. Nothing worse than fumbling with it when you need it ;)