How do you stop a rabid fax machine?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheUsualSuspect, Mar 9, 2005.

1. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect And poof. Just like that, he's gone.

For the last two days, a fax machine has been calling our 800 number at work, and everytime we pick up the phone, we get that modem sound that pierces the ear.

It would call every five minutes the last two days, today it's completely random and frequent.

We tried hooking up a faxmachine to the line, but the fax won't go through.

We tried calling the phone company to trap the line to trace the origin, but no luck.

Any ideas?

2. mustang5oh

mustang5oh New Member

I honestly have no clue, but that scene from office space with the printer comes to mind. oh wait i just reread it. i thought you meant that one of your fax machines kept calling out. you cant have the number blocked?

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

If you tried hooking up a fax and it wouldn't go through it makes me think that it is a data call (ie via a computer modem) and not a fax machine on the other end.

Not that this helps in any way. :fawk:

4. mustang5oh

mustang5oh New Member

yea didnt think of that. Could be somekind of telemarketing company who uses a computer based system to rout all calls, and when it hits your 800 it hangs, i dunno. Hell maybe its like the old days, war dialing

5. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect And poof. Just like that, he's gone.

Update: The phone company knows it was a cell phone calling, but they won't release the number to us. How a cell phone can do this I have no idea, but it is.

The phone company left a message on the cell phone three hours ago, but again it keeps calling ever 5 minutes. Very annoying.

6. mustang5oh

mustang5oh New Member

if a cell phone is calling and your getting a data sound. i would say maybe somebody was trying to dial in with a laptop maybe?