GUN How do you secure your guns if you don't have a gun safe?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Coottie, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Ok...so I'm pretty sure I'll be buying my first gun in the next couple of weeks...if not sooner. My house was recently broken into and I'd like to make sure if it happens again, they don't get my gun. I'm not sure I have the money for a full gun safe and small safes can be carried off as easily as the handgun itself.

So what should I do to not only keep my gun from getting stolen but also keep as much money in my pocket as possible??

Keep in mind, I don't yet have a CCW license and I'm referring to the times when I'm at work. Should I just hide it?? If so...where?

2. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I'll tell you my setup is not the greatest, I have a small room that is in one of the eves of the house (light AC carpet) and I installed a dead-bolt lock on the door.

The issue is that the closet door is a hollow core door (only one in the damn house) so one could knock though it and it has exposed hinge pins. So if I replaced the door with a solid core and in hinges that you can't tap the pin out of it would be better. A person could still go through the sheet rock.

That being said there are some gun safe or really just steel boxes that have a lock (stack-on being the cheapest I can remember) if you can find one for cheap the simplest thing to do is bolt it to the studs in the wall of a closet.

Mine is basically done to have a place to keep them out of safe and away from any small children that may be around. Stack-on will go from somewhere like 100-200 at the cheap end. whereas my route was like 20 dollars.

That is the route I would recommend going bolting a stable object to the studs if you are worried about it getting stolen.

Now if you are not going to hide it.

Maybe a member can tell you more about local laws in your state. It may be possible to lock it in the glove box . . . or there are safes you can install of cable lock in your car, if it is a better area than your house.

Now actually want to hide it when you leave, you could always stuff it up inside the box springs of your bed. Or you could buy one of these
    http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Hide-A-Gun-Picture-Frame/dp/B0006I0DXK

3. SickOfItAll

SickOfItAll The Bartender

Realistically speaking, if you're hard up for cash, here's your best bet on buying a safe:

Buy something you can bolt to the floor (make sure to have a domicile with a floor you can bolt into). Do not bolt a safe next to a wall anything other than sheetrock - you don't want someone to pry it off using the wall.

Make sure the safe is at least 1/2" steel all around. That takes more than a couple minutes to cut through. The whole point is to deter a thief - any safe can be defeated given unlimited time.

Going through sheet rock? Worrying about closet doors? With a halfway decent safe and installation, you don't have too much to worry about. Most house thieves are more concerned with time than anything else. Unless you have serious milsurp/Class III goodness (in which case you should have the resources to secure it properly), I wouldn't worry about my guns, if the above advice is followed. Unless you're a target because of your firearms, the above measures will be enough for all but the most determined thieves.

4. Coottie

The thiefs won't have unlimited time to work on the safe. I have an alarm system that is monitored and if they set it off, it'll call the cops.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Alot of the handguns safes seem really crappy even if they are bolted down. If you're on a budget you could use some cable locks, the bed frame, and some security hardware from the hardware store to make it so someone has to carry out the bedframe if they wanted the gun. Thats what I'd do.

Could you link me to a gun safe that's 1/2" steel all around thats remotely affordable?

6. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

For me, a Mosin is a fairly strange caliber (7.62x54R) so the chance of someone using against me is pretty low.

Other than that, the VERY back end of my closet behind Rubbermade containers full of shit. If they can get in there without me pulling my pistol on them, then they can have it.

7. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i just leave my guns in the window of my apartment.

8. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I was going to recommend an R&D Enterprises safe, but I guess they stopped making them. It's a shame too because they made great safes IMO, ridiculously strong, well made, came with all the hardware you could need and was pretty cheap.

Maybe you could swing something with a cable lock, as long as its secured to something sturdy and doesnt leave enough slack for bolt cutters it should provide some protection.

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You can hide a pistol pretty much anywhere. Bottom of your dirty clothes. In your pots and pans, inside your desktop case. Be creative.

10. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

That's what I do when I go out of town. Hide my stuff in unusual places and try to eliminate all signs of firearm ownership. I'll leave the less-expensive stuff like shotgun and 10/22 in their usual places as a honeypot of sorts. Better to lose ~$300 worth of cheap firearms than ~$3000 worth of better-quality firearms & accessories.

11. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

mine are all in a stack-on cabinet. while I wish I could get a safe, I'm renting, and except for my AR and AK, I shoot calibers that alot of people have never even heard of :hsd:

12. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

closet

13. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

Dirty clothes hamper. No one's going to look there.

14. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

When I didn't have access to a safe, I would de-activate the gun in some way. Remove the bolt from my AR, or trigger group from a Garand. A pistol, you could take out the barrel.
    That would also raise red flags if they tried to fence the gun at a gun shop.

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

cool idea actually. Get a little locking safe, put all the stuff in there, hide that safe....:cool:

16. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

while this is a good idea for making your guns non-functioning, it doesn't really keep them safe from being stolen :dunno:

still a good idea for when you're away for a long time.

17. more off

more off Moderator

get the ccw and carry it everywhere

18. Coottie

As many people have said the laundry hamper, if I were a crook, that's the first place I'd look. :)

And deactivating a gun every day before you go to work? hmm

19. Coottie

Yeah but there's prolly gonna be a timing issue between when I buy it and when I get my CCW. My current employer doesn't allow them on the property. :greddy: But my boss is a big gun guy and I'm about 99% certain if he found it on me, he wouldn't give a shit. Not sure about my soon-to-be new employer.

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Microwave

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

but what if i dont want to carry 6 guns? :sad2:

22. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I have kids so I just lock them in a carryable gun case. I only have 2 right now, but once I start acquiring more, I'm going to want a safe.

23. el capitan

el capitan New Member

i thought about a "stash box" under the carpet in my closet. anybody ever do anything like that?

24. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

my pistols in a safe.
    Everything else is conceiled but the firing pins/bolt carriers are in the safe with the pistol

25. Coottie

Ok...I can understand not reading the thread. Hell even I get lazy, but you didn't even bother to read the entire thread title. Now THAT'S lazy.