How do you route in-wall speaker wire?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Balzak, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Balzak

Balzak New Member

I have a 5.1 system and i think it would be much cleaner if the speakers were wall mounted instead of having speaker wire run all over the place. The thing is, i don't know how to run speaker wire inside the walls....how do you guys do it? its not like i can go into the wall.

if you guys have any techniques, that would be great.

2. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Well, if you can't go into the wall, that presents a problem.

I know that for my house, we had to rip a hole in the wall to clear a "firewall" which consisted of a 2x4 across the vertical 2x4's. Basically it's just pushing wire the way you want it, and pulling it up with a fish. Then you can just toss it across the attic to wherever it needs to go, drill a hole or 2, and fish it out of the hole, and voila!

Or, you can have people rip apart your house and then run it much easier :o

3. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

I use a Greenlee brand Versibit whenever I need to drill through the base or header plates in a pre-existing wall and a fiberglass pull-rod for actually fishing the wire through the wall cavity.

The Versibit is a flexible rod in varying lengths (I use 36" and 72" for most of my projects) with a drill bit on one end. You basically cut a hole in the drywall like you would to mount a PVC outlet box or faceplate caddy, then use an accompanying "guide tool" to route the flexibit down inside the wall cavity until you hit either the bottom (base) or top (header plate) and go at it with a power drill.

Um... here...

http://www.twaathome.com/Catalog/Dept_ID_399.htm?SID=S1TH1N0VA7TN9P7DV7PMF2USJMAHDJQB&PID=2001

That might give you a better idea what I am talking about. Anyway, these are the SHIT for people who have to pull cable occasionally and can be bought at Home Depot stores in the electrical section. :)