How do you remove wax from plastic trim?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by tenchuninja, Mar 19, 2002.

1. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

Well, the subject says it all. I have wax residue on the black plastic trim of my ride and can't seem to get it off no matter how hard I try. Any easy way to do this?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

First things first. Take the wax you have been using and throw it in the garbage. There is no reason to use a wax that hazes plastic. If you will look at the product list, there are a number of waxes listed that will not dry white or haze plastic.

Now on to removing it. Try using warmed up peanut butter, yes, warm peanut butter and a toothbrush. The oils in the peanut butter will remove the wax residue without harming the paint or the plastic.

Yes, I am absolutely serious.

3. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

cool! by the way, the dealership waxed my car before i bought it (used). grrrr.

now, chunky style or smooth? :big grin:

4. ri0t41

ri0t41 Pants off Dance off

ScottWax:

I also read this on VWVortex but wasn't sure of the validity or if it actually worked. My Passat has a large piece of plastic paneling down the side.. time to get to work tomorrow.

Thanks!

5. kpxgq

kpxgq Guest

6. Argyle

Argyle Guest

how did the peanut butter work guys??? i got the same thing and was thinking of doing this

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Just to let you guys know, we tried the peanut butter on my friend's Contour that had dried Turtle Wax on the plastic mirrors, worked beautiful! :bigthumb:

8. bmf

bmf Guest

The vegetable oils in the PB react with the wax residue, breaking it up.

It's not 100% foolproof but it works amazingly well.

I got some polish in some plastic trim using a buffer which grinded the product into the trim pretty well. PB worked OK but to get it all out I needed to use a pretty strong cleaner and a stiff brush. Even then it took several applications.

So be patient and keep applying PB. It'll come out eventually.

9. Argyle

Argyle Guest

so i gave my car the peanut butter treatment and i must say, i am very impressed. me and my dad have tried a million and 1 things to try and get wax off of the plastic moldings or atleast cover it up but nothing seemed to work. PB got rid of the wax spots with just a couple of simple strokes of a toothbrush. barely any elbow grease required. i'm glad i did it. Thanx Scottwax :bigthumb: