GUN How do you nicely refuse to take someone shooting?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZCP M3, Sep 15, 2009.

1. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

This has been bugging me for some time, maybe WMD can help.

I've got a friend who has been constantly asking me to take him shooting for the better part of this summer. He never talked about it until he learned that I have a few firearms and go shooting for fun. His extent of firearm knowledge comes from playing Halo 3 and COD4.

He's a nice guy but I honestly just don't trust that he's mature enough to take firearms seriously and therefore especially don't want him handling my weapons.

I feel like he's not interested in shooting or having me teach him how to shoot, but shooting my guns specifically. For instance when I couldn't take him I told him where the range was (it's less than 3 min away from where we live) and that they have the same guns I own for rental and he said that "I want to shoot *your* guns because they're probably better."

The one time I had the time to take him shooting he proceeded to invite 3 extra people and THEN ask me if it was okay if they joined. :ugh2: I promptly canceled that range trip.

I've just been too busy to take him lately but it's time to tell him no. I feel that if I tell him no that he'll take offense to it though.

How does WMD handle a person like this?

2. Nolimit26927

Nolimit26927 High Class White Trash OT Supporter

I would meet him at the range and "forget" your guns, so he has to rent them

3. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I dont know if anyone else feels this way, but there are two specific scenarios that involve other people joining me at the range.

1) I ask people to come to the range with me.
    2) People ask me if they can come to the range.

I'd say almost 99% of the time if its #2 that I say no or if I say yes I am annoyed and/or uncomfortable. #1 has always worked out well because if I'm the one asking then it's clear I'm comfortable with you handling my weapons and trust that you'll be safe.

4. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

He sounds like a douche shoot him and dissolve his body in your bathtub.

5. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Say you will go with him but for his first time he has to rent a range gun. If he asks why, tell him so he can practice on their guns first and not yours.

If he takes offense, the fuck em at least your guns are safe. :rofl:

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

ive kind of had that experience. i just brought my 10/22 and gave them good instructions on how to use it :dunno:

7. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Some good advice in this thread. If it was me, I would make it mandatory that he learn and memorize the 4 rules. Also, make sure he is familiar with your weapons and knows what to do if there is a jam or stovepipe. Make sure he knows how to load mags. I've seen too many first time shooters have a jam or stovepipe and turn around to ask for help, gun in hand, now pointing rearward of the firing line. Make sure he knows that if you call out to him or tap him on the shoulder, to keep the gun pointed downrange.

Also : you bring the guns, he buys the ammo. If he's not smart enough to buy the ammo before you get to the range, even better. He won't ask you to go shooting again anytime soon after spending $100+ in ammo.

8. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i usually tell people the truth, i don't feel comfortable teaching someone gun safety and allowing them to use my firearms, and i choose to play it safe and only shoot with those who have already learned how to handle a firearm in a safe manner.

i have no trouble being a dick about it cause i brought an imature family member with me once cause he wouldn't shut up, he was in his 20's but acted like a 13 year old.

when we got to the range he wanted to hold 1 pistol in each hand and shoot them like the movies, i told him i'd rot in hell before i let him do that around me or with my guns, told him to not waste my time again and i walked to my car and left.

9. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Oh, and make it very clear that the first time he fucks around or breaks a rule (points a gun at you on accident), you're done. I'd email him a copy of the four rules a few days before the range trip. If he can't recite all four from memory without thinking too much about it, you're not going.

10. P-chan

P-chan New Member

:rofl: John Woo style

11. sprite

sprite Active Member

I think I know exactly the kind of personality your talking about. I bet the guy is kind of a spaz... am I right? If so, just be honest with him, and don't take him. Thats the type that will grab a gun right out your bag and start hitting every fucking button & lever on while ignoring you all the while.. and will generally finger fuck your shit every chance they get until you finally get fed up and leave and then he'll act like your some tremendous asshole.

12. Poz_Dispenser

Poz_Dispenser New Member

get mature friends

13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i remembered when i dropped my AKs off at my smith there was some younger asian guy, maybe in his early 20's, who was asking to see all these different types of guns in the shop.

while i was being waited on, he was finger fucking the shit out of some CA-legal mac-11 or whatever. he talked about being a cop, and how he wants some shit like this for home protection :ugh2: he was pointing it all over the fucking place (not at anyone, though), and holding it in all these different positions.

the dipshit was asking stupid questions like "hows the accuracy" "does it ever jam" :ugh2: its a fucking mac, what do you expect?

i hate dipshits.

14. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

I don't trust most people, I only have a few shooting friends.

15. mstad

mstad New Member

I've got one good friend I refuse to go shooting with after I went to pick him up once to shoot and after he offered me a beer, he added to his pile of empties for the day and grabbed himself another cold one.

16. johnson

johnson New Member

Nice friends you got there...

17. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Don't bring your guns. Simple as that. Is this Brodie?

18. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Well usually in GTA4, I use the MP5 for drive bys and stuff. But sometimes when I run out of bullets and pick one up from the bad guys, I will use he mac11/uzi. Plus, its got a 50 bullet clip and you can spray and pray and kill just about anyone.

19. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

man you guys know lots of losers.

The few that have asked me to take them shooting, I have no problems with it. I show them the basic handling techniques and tell them the rules before heading out. I give them a little freedom while at the range to get a "feel" for it. Then keep them on a short leash to make sure they are ok. Usually share the same stall/table so I can watch when they shoot. If you have a "high capacity" magazine, I usually put less rounds in.

And them using my gun. No different than using the range's guns in my eyes. So why bother renting... unless they wanted to buy one. Then rent them to try out what works for them.

Maybe I'm confident with the people I take. Or maybe I'm naive.... :o :dunno:

Oh yeah, about extra people tagging along, that would be a :nono: unless it's chicks with tits.

20. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Explaining the costs of ammo usually deters most dipshits. If it doesn't, I'd just break it down to plain english and tell them that their acting like a fucking idiot precludes them from such activities in my presence
    The only people who shoot my stuff for free are the people I'd never have to ask to pay up. Since most of my shooting is done on private property, inviting friends of friends is a guaranteed no. Then again, the people who come shooting wouldn't ask to do that kinda shit anyways, so it works out.

21. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Tell him to pony up for some ammo. Take him and only him. Teach him how to properly handle a firearm and how to shoot.

22. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

I have never asked anyone for money yet for ammo. They usually buy dinner or some shit so it's pretty close to offseting.

Whatever value I spent on ammo to teach or familiarize someone with a firearm more than outweighs the cost. 1 less anti ftw!

23. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

What so you shoot one box of ammo for the day?

24. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

With rifle, generally ~400rds. Handgun ~2-300 rds.

PS, I havent bought any ammo in about 2 years, and still got plenty.... :o

25. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Do they take you to a 5* Buffet or something, or are you being extremely sarcastic about the offsetting of ammo cost by buying you dinner?