How do you network a printer that is connected directy to a linksys router?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Little Spunky $#!T, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

I have networked lots of printers before, but never with a router....

Is it possible to network a printer that has a ethernet port directy to the router, no usb cables or anything.....the only connection is a network cable from the printer to the router. Is this possible, and if so, how? How do I find the printer, I let the add a printer wizard browse for a printer, but all it found was the networked computers, no printer.

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

you'll have to configure the printer with an ip address on your network. (should be in your printer configuration if it has a direct ethernet connection) and then (depending on the printer) you can either search for it in windows as a network printer, or you'll have to configure it as a local printer and use a tcp/ip port instead of searial/usb, and enter the ipaddress you gave the printer in the setup

3. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Ya I knew that you had to assign the printer an IP, but the thing is, how? The printer doesn't show up at all on the computers...

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

The manufacture should provide some softare to do it. They usually either use broadcasts to find and config the printer the first time or assign it a default IP that you can use (pain since you need to put your machine on that same subnet to see it). It could also have DHCP enabled and already has one.

Check the maker's website for manuals and management software.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

read the printer manual... you usually have to do it ON the printer itself, not through the software.

Oh, and i wouldn't use DHCP to get an address automatically, because if it changes, you won't be able to print unless you go change it in all your computers.