MMA how do you manage your time?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by geekboy, Mar 24, 2008.

1. geekboy

geekboy Target Agent OT Supporter

between work, gym, relationship:greddy:, and social life?

It seems like a lot of you here train every day.

2. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Problem is, I really don't have a social life. I love the people from my gym but don't like many other people, so that's my social interaction. Hanging out at tournaments and on drives and stuff...but I don't go out or date or anything.

I'd much rather be accomplished in jiu jitsu and school than a known partier.

3. Exiled

Exiled New Member

I dont really have a social life but one day a week (saturday night)..

monday through friday I work and do jiujitsu.. after jiujitsu if I can I go stay the night at my girls house and spend time with her.. sundays I lay on the couch and watch t.v and play video games

4. teep

teep New Member

Have an understanding/supportive girlfriend. A lot of times gym and social life can go hand in hand. If I train on Friday night a bunch of us usually go out afterwards. If you get real serious though, as in have a fight coming up, your social life tends to take a dive.

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I take Friday as my regular off day, and my wife also trains with me on Sunday and Wednesday.

6. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I have been wondering this a lot late.y I rarely go to the gym now because it seems kind of pointless. Not like I am ever going to compete seriously.

7. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

I don't have time for a girlfriend. :o I ended my 3.5ish year relationship over the summer and haven't looked back. Since then I've lost a lot of weight and gotten in shape again. I would love to have an SO that trained and/or had similar interests as I, but any chick in or around bjj/cars seems to either be A) a wife/girlfriend B) a race/gym slut, or C) leghumped to death. :dunno:

I'm pretty busy between doing well in school, bjj, and racing activities.

8. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I do it because it's fun. More fun than sitting at home and watching tv getting fat, or going to the bar getting drunk and pouring money down the drain. :hs:

9. Hillary

I don't need a boyfriend. I don't care about his feelings, and all that I'd want I can handle myself, quicker, on my own time, without having to worry about catching anything, and without driving.

10. teep

teep New Member

:nono: watching tv and getting fat is very fun

11. geekboy

I took a year break from training because i was burn out. I trained religious between 2003-2006. I think you are just burning out.

12. geekboy

let me guess your age, 18-23?

13. KJB

KJB Guest

ot 99% everything else 1%.

14. Hillary

Accurate. :) 19.

15. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I'm worrying about what cost I may be incurring because of the gym.

I could be getting my masters, I could be working my way towards retiring younger, I could be doing a lot of productive things, and as much as i like training, it is just a hobby and I dont want to look back and regret spending so much time at the gym with nothing to show. :dunno:

16. Exiled

Exiled New Member

Yeah, everyone burns out now and then, i've taken 3-5 month breaks multiple times in my day to reevaluate where I wanted to go, if I still wanted to grind.. etc.. now that's all passed me but if you feel you're getting burned out, talk to your coach.. take a couple of months.. and then come back refreshed

17. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:werd: I don't think that our demographic is particularly geared towards long-term relationships, especially with people who have goals/real interests.

18. teep

teep New Member

If it's really just a hobby it can be just that. Everyone burns out now and again. I haven't trained seriously or taken a fight since my last one and that was months and months ago. No problems in taking time off.
    I'm in the same boat as you. The money I get from fights here is nowhere close to being high enough to pay the bills and I don't expect to be in the UFC or anything. So training is on the back burner right now while I finish college and sort the rest of my life out. That doesn't mean I still don't have fun going in when I can though.

19. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

yeah, you guys make sense. I am a very compulsive person, so when i do things i tend to always do them 110% and cant do anything casually.

Also sucks cause I'm realizing i peaked before my injury, so it just seems futile training when i know that I am just trying to get back. Oh well. I think i'm gonna take some time off coming up and actually get a full night's rest for a while.

20. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

Before my car accident I was crazier in training than Hilary and i couldn't have been happier. the accident set me back and i got to be sociable and learn how much fun it was.

Came back never trained like I was before. Felt almost like i was being forced to train. Took about 6 months off from training after my first professional loss. Had alot of fun and started working.

I recently got back on a decent training schedule and then boom break my hand. So i train what I can and do alot of nothing. Unfortunately I have alot of social activity. I'm used to it from working downtown for the last year. I;ll be home content to stay in get bored and go hang out but as soon as i get there I wanna go home cause i wanna train the next morning.

Its a shitty mix.

I am not dating I wouldn't mind it. If i could I'd like a girl that works out. goes to the gym If they trained it would be a big plus but at least gives a shit about her health and understands the pain and energy that goes into working out so she understands what i deal with.

21. Hillary

During my senior year of highschool I was a starter/captain on 4 varsity sports, trained, rode horses, and had 5 AP classes. So I was always fucking used to running around, and I never wasted a second of spare time. In December 06 I fractured my eye socket, had surgery, and couldn't do anything mildly athletic that would raise my heartrate for 1 1/2 months. That made me about explode.

22. CRaiNK

CRaiNK ЧЕМПИОН

lol break out the VIB hahaha

23. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

I dont sleep very much.

24. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Well-Known Member

25. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Are you saying my time would be better spent getting drunk and fuckin' ho's. No thanks, I'll take Jiu-Jitsu achievements over that any day.

When I think about being tired training and would just like a normal life a bit, I like to think of this quote by Evan Tanner, I don't think it could be truer.