SRS How do you know when its time to quit a job?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BradUF, Nov 14, 2005.

1. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Everything was going fine until the store manager dude said I was not getting any better. Everyone told me not to listen to him because he always has something negative to say. But I fucked up really bad tonite and it always seems like I have more bad days then good days, I would say half my days are bad, thank god I am part time.

No one has directly said anything to me about my performnce but I feel if I stick around along enough they will and if I stay after that I will get demoted. The problem is I like all my co-workers and bosses and no one gives me any problems. Its one of the best jobs I have had but I know there is better and it pays decent. I only have been at this jobs for months and it just feels like its getting worse then better. So what do you do if you are at a job you feel like you have no future at? Basicly I suck at the job but people like me and I always show up.

2. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

Well how old are you? That will probably determine a lot. If you are still in highschool and just doing this job for some extra money who cares if you have no future at it. Its just temporary. But if you're older and basically looking for a career, you should try and look for a new job.

3. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

if you hate it and can get a job thats just as good, why not? you know your options better than we do. It would be better to find a new job before you quit, and always give a 2 week notice.

4. johan

johan Active Member

You know you don't particularly like this job. Time to start searching for another.

Yeah, the people like you here, and you get along with everyone (except the store manager)...but so what? That's no reason to sell yourself out.

Just find another job, you'll find new co-workers to pal around with.

5. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

Likeing your co-workers is a big reason I'm still at my job. Sometimes it doesn't even feel like a job because you enjoy the people around you. Of course that can be a problem sometimes. You can miss opportunities elsewhere. Like I said agian, I think depending on your age will say a lot.

6. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Im in college and its only for partime. I am just afaird of starting over and having to get use to a whole new job and I am afaird if I get a new job it will suck more then my current job. Also how long do you have to work somewhere before you can use them as a refernce? Because if it possible I will ride it out long enough to get a refernce that I worked there for x amount of time.

7. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Regardless if I am going to work there for the rest of my life or not. It still sucks being at the very bottom and everyone is passing you.

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

My advice is to stay, your co workers are right, you shouldn't listen to this shithead.

9. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Longer then a few months....when I hired people, I wanted to know if they were at least likely to work longer then their training period. :p When you look at someone's resume and see a train of work that only lasted less then 1 year, that's a warning sign.

However, in your case, this is a part time job to supplement your college education and get you some spending money. I'd say, don't sweat it. It's unlikely what you do now will have any significant impact upon your working career once you go down that chosen path.

I'd say, stick it out if you like the job and the rewards exceeds the cost of having a bad manager...if it drives you nutty, then go. You might find a job that sucks...but there's also just as good a chance that the next job you have is even better. Never regret the choices you make. But you won't progress anywhere in life unless you take the chance.

10. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Well I am going to stay atleast until Jan, maybe march when I have class every day.

11. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

What kind of job is this, anyways? Is it anything related to your field of study? If so, keep the job. If not, ditch it the first chance you get.

The only reason I'm still in my current job is that it does somewhat relate to my field of study. Otherwise, I hate the type of work I'm doing, and the people I'm around. Good money and benefits outweigh dreading work, though.