SRS How do you know if you have an alcohol problem?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Its JB LOL, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Its JB LOL

Its JB LOL New Member

I seem to drink a lot but I don't really find myself relying on it. However, if Im bored, I'll start drinking just because its something to do. I usually control myself with beer, but I'll go nuts with hard alcohol. Is there a list of questions to ask yourself to determine whether or not its a problem? It doesnt seem to affect my life but I know there is a history of addiction in my family so I'm concerned. I don't know if I qualify for AA but I guess I just need some advice. Thanks :sadwavey:

2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

http://www.aa.org/default/en_about_aa.cfm?pageid=4

thats a good start, but honestly, the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. you don't have to drink a LOT or necessarily have wreckage in your past, etc etc etc. if you want to quit drinking, you qualify. remember that. im sure others will have suggestions.

3. SpeedsterZ28

SpeedsterZ28 Guest

I was doing a lot of the same(drinking while bored, etc) and I also drank till blackout...I knew after a couple embarassing incidents it was a problem, so I went dry for a month, and ever since have kept things under control...also, I never drink out of boredom or being alone anymore, either, and that helped tremendously.

4. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

if you are a drunk, you CANNOT go cold turkey, you will have withdrawls.. my dad had them and he ended up having 3 grandmaul seizures! he has done this twice. he has been in the hospitol both times.

5. When your life has become unmanageable because of alcohol [job, school, relationships, family etc.]

Alcohol Abuse and Alcohol Addiction are two distinct things, but they aren't always mutually exclusive. What you're discussing seems closer to abuse, and that too should be carefully managed if possible. If you find you can't, then you may have an addiction.

6. SovietRussia

SovietRussia What? You pooped in the refrigerator? OT Supporter

do you gulp your first drink? have alot of "blackouts"? can you just have one beer and then stop? do you ever say your going to stop after so many beers, and then not stick to what you had planned?

7. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

good points. its all subjective to your drinking experiences, not the frequency of drinking or how long you've been doing it... but when you DO drink, how you react.

8. Funkdooby

Funkdooby Guest

I considered I had a problem when I would tell myself earlier in the day that I wasn't going to drink later, but then I would. In other words, the drink was in control, even though I don't think I was an alcoholic. Anyway, other than some champagne on Millennium Eve, I haven't touched booze since 1997.

9. MTsoul4evr

MTsoul4evr New Member

i just drink a lot and by myself, but my pets and bills come first, i never black out...but i drink a couple beers on a daily basis, would that be considered a problem?

10. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Is it causing problems in your life? Do you ever drink more than you had previously planned? Should you be spending money on something else, but instead you buy beer?

On a side note, whether or not you're an alcoholic or not, why don't you just stop? What's the point of wasting money on beer, try taking up a hobby or lifting or working on some sort of self improvement. If you have problems just quitting and taking up another activity, you may have a problem as well...

11. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

like aa defines it... upon having the first drink, any ability to control or moderate goes out the window..

that = an alcoholic

12. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

It sounds like maintenance drinking when a person drinks every day. What happens if you don't drink, any cravings? Try getting a couple pamphlets from A.A. one is called "44 Questions", the other is "Is AA for You?" you can view them online at Alcoholics Anonymous, click on the About A.A. tab. You might get some clarity if you take the little quizzes in these pamphlets. Good luck in your quest, come back and tell us how you are doing.

13. Dr. Giggles

Dr. Giggles OT Supporter

I find myself to be in the same position, also. I only usually drink when I'm out with friends, or hanging out at a friend's house. THis usually occurs on the weekends. However, I don't drink when alone, or when I have nothing else to do. I often questioned myself about how reliant I was on alcohol, but I think that as long as you don't feel the need to drink to escape a problem or feel better about something, you should be fine.