LGBT How do you know if a dress shirt fits?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by EvilJediJ, Jun 3, 2005.

1. EvilJediJ

EvilJediJ Guest

I'm about 5'10 and 160 pounds and I am having trouble getting dress shirts that fit. How long should a dress shirt be? I usually were medium sized shirts when it comes to T-shirts or Polo shirts, but as soon as I put on a medium sized dress shirt it feels like i'm wearing a dress or a cape..they always seem so loose and long on me although the arms lengths seem to be ok.

2. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Normally, true dress shirts hould tuck well into your pants. They aren't supposed to come up really short. The way I measure is by the neck and sleeve length. As long as they work, overall length is secondary. I have dress shirts that cover my entire ass. They look good when I wear the right tie and pants though.

3. EvilJediJ

EvilJediJ Guest

I assume you tuck into your pants though? I generally don't tuck as I wear jeans.

4. sholnay

sholnay New Member

then you are buying/wearing the wrong kind of dress shirts. you probably want the trendy kind that can be purchased at the A/E type places =/ if they even sell taht kind of thing

all my good dress shirts tuck in very far - which is nice cause you dont want that coming out while in a suit or dressed up.

5. integra707

integra707 New Member

Dress shirts are made to be tucked in, that's why they are longer.

Have someone measure you. The important part is the neck and the sleeves. Only being 160lbs, you're probably pretty skinny, so you should look for a slim cut shirt.... That or any tailor can put darts in a shirt to make it more slim fitting.

As far as leaving it untucked, that's not a dress shirt, it's a casual shirt. It should be cut straight (horizontally across the bottom) as opposed to having longer tails in the front and back.

6. sholnay

sholnay New Member

A+ for that answer :big grin:

7. Josey

Josey New Member

I have to have a lot of my dress shirts tailored....an 18" neck is hard to buy for unless you go to a Big and tall store and since I don't want an XXXL size but need something that I can wear ties with, I usually go to the Mens wherehouse when I need new "Formal" shirts. You usually want to be able to put an index finger inside your collar once buttoned up and the stiches for your sleeves should over hang about an 1" on either side, and then the back of your shirt should hang down to atleast the bottom of your butt to get a good tucked in fit and not worry about pulling the shirt out.

Hope that helps

8. EvilJediJ

EvilJediJ Guest

When I said dress shirts I meant shirts that you might go to the bar or the club with. That you would usually wear jeans with.