How do you keep motivated?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Cjddrum1, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cjddrum1

Cjddrum1 Guest

I have tried so many times to loose weight and I get real pumped, then I just crash and get lazy. Any ideas to help me stay motivated? Ive thought about maybe starting to take weekly pics of myself so I can see the progress. I lost 40 lbs about a year ago and gained 60 back. Now I really want to get it off once and for all but I am worried that Ill start, loose some, gain double back. Any advice for me? :x:

Its like I get cravings and just cant control it...what are somethings to do when having them?

2. TZ

TZ Banned

i dont think there is a tip or anything that can "help" you get motivated. you either are motivated, or you're not. get your ass in gear and dont look back!

3. Cjddrum1

Cjddrum1 Guest

I know...its on me :sad2:

I have make sure to keep MYSELF motivated

4. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

i like to look at pics of guys with nice bodies on the internet, that used to keep me motivated cause i wanted to achieve a physique like them

or if i really want to eat something i cant have, i just imagine eating it and it tasting so good and everything, but having the horrible guilt right after...def not worth it

it just comes down to YOU and if you really want it or not..if it was easy, everyone would do it

5. TZ

TZ Banned

yup. I mean honestly it all comes down to bucking up, and going out there and getting in a routine...that's when it gets easy in my opinion. once you start getting in shape it becomes really a change in ur lifestyle

6. Cjddrum1

Cjddrum1 Guest

Yeah, thats actually what has started getting me motivated is wanting a nice body...no girl wants a lazy fatass, not even that, but being fat is just a bad look and impression on everyone. I dont want to go to work or school looking like a slob

Yeah TZ i know once I start seeing results I will keep going because I dont want to get back to the point im at right now

7. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I hate being a weak sack of shit, so I train.

8. VinSVT

VinSVT New Member

Try not being so serious about it when starting off... mentally you may want to do it but physically it's going to be very rough on you. Take it slow... dont jump straight into some strict diet and life style change. Week by week or month by month progress more and more towards what you feel you need to do. The body takes time to change... cant go to bed with a shit diet and life style and wake up the next day expecting your body to accept a new one.

9. deznutz

deznutz New Member

Bigger, better, than everyone else.

I definetly started working out because i was fat, overweight, obese...
    I wanted a nice body...now i do it because ...i like the life style

hard to explain

10. Aradia

Aradia New Member

Just don't give up...I think it said in one of the stickies...or the archives to "Just try to do a little better today than you did yesterday" thats helping me.
    Also, maybe cut one thing at a time out of your diet every few days or every new week...so you can adjust slowly.

11. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

I dunno. Good diet, keep working out, and supplements are a huge bennifit.

You kind of have to get in the type of situation where you will get the drive, no matter what.

I try to have a nap in the winter when my energy reserves are naturally low so that when I wake up I have a huge store of energy just waiting to be pumped out on the irons.

12. chknbone

chknbone New Member

My motivation was that I didn't want to be one of the "fat dads" on the beach with my kids (and we go to beach almost every weekend over the summer)

One of the things that I did while losing weight was to weigh only on Thursday mornings when I got up.

For me, if I saw results I was more more conscious about what I ate over the coming weekend and it was far enough away from the previous weekend that I could work a little harder Mon - Wed to make up for the slack if I didn't eat very well.

The other thing I did was I kept a really detailed count of my calories during the week but not on the weekends.

13. cura

cura New Member

Try doing one or two lifestyle changes at a time with your diet. Then ease into working out again. Losing 40 and gaining back 60 shows the rest of your diet isnt in check

14. jonno

jonno New Member

when you see your body changing that's all the motivation you'll need

15. Virtualmikey

Virtualmikey OT Supporter

quoted for utmost truth. I hate being a weakling, so I lift harder. I look at myself in the mirror, and I look at pictures of what I used to look like before I got into the gym.

Just looking at how out of shape I was motivates me to push that much harder.

16. xela

xela So say we all!

Start slowly and work your way up. As far as food cravings, just try to eat every 3-5 hours so your sugar levels stay normal and you don't go binge on sugary foods to satisfy the cravings.

I've also noticed that when I'm craving sugary foods I eat a lot of protein and then I don't want sugar anymore.

Once you are devoted and in a healthy life style you won't need much motivation...it comes naturally because it just feels so good to look and be healthy.

17. Cjddrum1

Cjddrum1 Guest

Thanks, all the comments are helpful. I remember how good it felt when I was loosing weight, I just felt alot cleaner than I do now. Right now I feel like my veins are running with fat. I guess today will be the start of easing into a new diet.

18. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

the mirror.

i know it sounds corny, but at the end of the day, i'm my own toughest critic. i work out for me, i don't care what other people think or say... once i see changes in the mirror, i want to see MORE changes and the farther away that i get from how i used to look, the more i never want to look like that again

19. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

good attitude

20. Virtualmikey

Virtualmikey OT Supporter

It's that first month or two that's the hardest.

One of the greatest things (to me, anyway) about having turned my life around to get in shape and healther is my change in diet. I used to eat absolute garbage, and tons of it. Massive portions, a lot of fast food...I mean really, who didn't like the 6 dollar burger from carl's jr?

I almost get nauseated when I think about the things I used to pig out on. What's nice is how they aren't really even appealing to me anymore. I don't crave it, and instead of thinking "mmmm, a big ass burger with fries", I think "ugh, 1600 calories in one sitting and a stomach ache later".

Stick with it, and actually dedicate yourself to getting healthy. Don't just see a good looking guy on tv and want to look like that.

21. Cjddrum1

Cjddrum1 Guest

Ya, I just have to keep the mindset I have now and I think Ill be fine. I actually have started eating healthier in the past week or so by cutting out sugars and trying to cut carbs (hard when you live in a dorm and can only really eat caf food), but I really have been watching my portions. Last night was just horrible for me...I just had this sugar craving and went down to the vending machine and got pop tarts & cookies...then felt like shit for doing that so I came on here and its really helped me get back into the right mindset :)

22. irKevLar

irKevLar New Member

If you're on the intarweb asking for motivation you're already on the wrong track.
    Like many things in life; you have to want this to the extreme. Set short term and long term goals and incoporate your training so deep into your being that to fail would offset your whole system. Ingrain it into your life to the point where you can't stop yourself if you tried.
    It will be worth it in the end.
    It's a lifestyle.

23. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

OT F&N helps me keep motivated.

24. MrInconsistant

MrInconsistant New Member

25. Steef

Steef New Member

i get my motivation after each workout. i look in the mirror and see my muscles pumped, then want to look more like that all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.