How do you guys deal with stoplight sensors while riding?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mr Roboto, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto Flat Black Member

My city has a lot of the underground sensor-actuated stoplights, and I've heard some stuff about how to get them to trigger while riding a motorcycle, but I'd like to hear some real-world opinions on it. My VFR doesn't have enough mass or whatever it takes to set them off most of the time, so either I roll the bike back and forth (which works sometimes, but rarely), wait for a car to pull up behind me, or just wait until nobody's coming and go anyway. Is there anything you guys do, or have heard of, to fix this?

2. machine81

machine81 New Member

A buddy of mine told me that in the state where I used to live (SD) it was legal to make a left turn on a red light if you were on a motorcycle. I never read it in the driver's manual tho. :dunno:

3. ryguy461

ryguy461 New Member

thats fucken awesome.. i just sit at the light and put my kickstand down till someone pulls up behing me.. hahah.. but ive had to run a few also..

4. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

5. HardTech

HardTech hungry

if there's no traffic, I just go

6. walman7

walman7 "Did you hurl in my shoe?"

yeah i'll wait like 2 cycles of where my light should've turned green then jsut go. if a cop pulled me over i'd just tell em i waited like 5 cycles and no cars are pulling up either. they've gota understand sometimes bikes just don't trigger that shit. i hope....:x:

7. I have a product on mine called "green Light" just a tiny magnet thingy doo. and it sticks to the bottom of the bike.
    I have tested this w/ lights that I KNOW I havent triggered before and it works. crazy enough, it does work, it is important though that when I roll up to a light, I place the bike over one of the sawcut lines in the road, as to interfere better with the eltromagnetic loop that triggers the light.
    just my experience with it.:wavey: my product review gets a :bigthumb: for the $13. investment.

8. Smitty

Smitty New Member

I have heard that it doesnt go by weight/mass on most of the sensors. I have found though that at lights doing something electrical will trigger the sensor. So maybe when you first pull up, turn the bike off, wait like 15-20 seconds, then fire it back up. Ever since I have started doing this I have never missed a rotation at a light.

9. Pete Venkman

Pete Venkman New Member

That would be a pain in the ass.

In for anyone that finds a cheap device that works for this problem. :x:

10. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

most of the lights in my area are on timers as well as by sensor. I've only had a couple of instances where I took a right on red and then turned around in a developement that was very closeby.

11. Smitty

Smitty New Member

To turn the bike on and off??? Umm you hit a switch, then push another switch. Unless you have a kick starter
    In hot weather I usually turn my bike off anyways because of the damn radiators being right by my legs.

12. Smitty

Smitty New Member

Umm usually its legal to turn right on red... :hsugh: as long as there isnt a sign

Edit: shit, I just reread what I quoted. Nm :o

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  13. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

get those magnetic sensors. they work very well, are cheap, and you can get them at most bike shops. for seattle people, rmc in renton has them, so does hinshaws in auburn, and quite a few others. i had one on my last bike and never had to wait.

14. Team503

Team503 Guest

15. Bret The Ripper

Bret The Ripper I

I have only had that problem on a scooter. Teh RC is a fat bitch. :naughty:

16. Peter Gibbons

Peter Gibbons OT Supporter

In TN you can go through red lights if it's not switching for you ;)

17. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

Sometimes if I am really energetic I will get off and go push the crosswalk button. Other times I will just make a right and then a u-turn. Only when I am really adventurous do I just run it. There are too many cops out here and red-light cameras. Running the light is almost a guarantee to be pulled over even if you have a legit traffic light problem.

18. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

Its been mentioned that weight has nothing to do with it (true) but noone has mentioned (unless I missed it) that it has to do with the amount of ferrous material on your bike.

It changed the electro magnectic field in the loop. Thats why the magnets work and why sometimes stopping and starting your bike will work.

19. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

yep

if i pull to a light and there arent any cars behind me for 10 seconds, i go. the lights around here are designed to pick up the metal of a car. since bikes are mostly aluminum, it doesnt work.

20. Orestes

Orestes Guest

any of you guys that have that red light trigger magnet located in so cal? down where i live, it seems like 1/4 traffic lights won't pick me up and it gets annoying, especially since half my riding is done late at night.

21. peterRR

peterRR New Member

turn your bike off then start it, usually once or twice works fine...or hit your starter button while its running...(the latter may damage your starter so be careful. this produces enough current in the sensor to trigger the lights.

22. Team503

Team503 Guest

dude i already said that duh lol repeat dude read the thread before posting lol snap

23. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

Read my post "unless I missed it".

Dude, read my post before posting snap :rolleyes: :greddy: