A&P How do you guys deal with spacey models?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MSIGuy, Jul 21, 2009.

1. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

So I've got a shoot Wednesday with a friend of mine that want's some pictures. I've shot with her before, we're great friends and comfortable with each other but she's a bit ADD and kinda drifts off if I take more than a 10 second break in the shooting. :rofl: I'll have her posed all nice, snap a pic, and realize that I need to drop down my light or move it or something and then in the short time it takes me to do that she's completely off in her own world or texting on her phone.

Any tips on how to keep a model "on task" but still relaxed? I'm thinking of asking one of her friends to come along to do hair and makeup and that sort of shit thinking that it might be nice for her to have someone to chat with between frames. Any advice?

2. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

roofies?

Most models seem to work best when on Heroine or Coke... you could try that :hsugh:

3. johan

johan Active Member

Is she literally texting on her phone? Why does she even have a phone in her hands in front of the camera.

Or maybe "10 seconds" is more like several minutes. Its very frustrating for talent to just sit there while the photog chimps his shots, scratches his balls, or is moving lightstands by trial-and-error. Any more than just 1 or 2 check frames before you dive into it...is frustrating.

It's like watching a computer that's just hourglassing for minutes at a time.
    How much of that could you take? Not much probably....

Anyways, some models are like herding cats, have an assistant or your mua help direct the model. I wouldn't get one of her friends to do this -- they'll just end up chatting/distracted/etc. Get your own assistant.

I would keep a shooting rhythm. Get your lights setup, shoot for 10-15 mins, then give her a break to do whatever. You setup your next look and repeat.

If she's distracted, give her more breaks, so she's focused when you're ready to go.
    Don't force her to sit there mentally blank while you make adjustments.

4. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I ignore them and find reliable people.

5. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

You know I suppose it is somewhat my fault. It's not a professional environment or anything, just a girl that wants some nice pictures and a friend of mine.

I guess I should be a little more prepared going into shoots like that though. Most of the down time during a shoot is getting her posed, she's usually pretty stiff and stuff until about 10-20 min into something, then she just loses interest. I should probably try and have a game plan before I go out, think of some poses, where the lights are going to be ect instead of trying to do it all on the fly.

You seem to know what you're talking about, mind sharing with me a quick rundown of how portrait shoots go with you? Time spent doing this, doing that, ect?

6. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

Bingo

7. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Well, I realize that now, so does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to improve on that?

8. johan

johan Active Member

Yes to the game plan. When I first started shooting, I'd do a basic storyboard, and have my lighting plan at least to the 90% stage.

If you're still playing with lighting...that's fine, but "playing around" has a very draining effect on your models.

It's tough for even a professional model to maintain focus/intensity for any length of time, you're not going to get that from a casual friend.
    Think of how long YOU could stare at a camera and put something out there...and then hold it...without breaking down, or getting bored, or fidgety.

I'm not an awesome photog by any means, but I've shot with some great photogs, and some piss-poor ones and the difference to me, was in their people skills and how they brought it out of the model.
    Anyone can click a shutter. Lighting design isn't rocket science either.
    It's the soft stuff, eliciting something out of your model.

When I spent a half-day with Joe Mcnally, I ignored all the camera/light stuff and just watched him direct/talk/coach the models. Very low key, relaxed, but there was a purpose to what he was doing.
    Didn't spend any time with his thumb up his ass, or scratching his head. That massively destroys confidence from your model...makes them think this is a huge waste of time on their part.

9. johan

johan Active Member

anyways, for me, I typically arrive 30 minutes before the shoot, and set up.
    The mua usually needs 30-45 mins for their work. So I get an hour of prep time.

The pro models are a real breeze to work with, they know how to hit all the marks with just a few words. Even so... its a human being on the other side of the lens. Models aren't poseable action figures, you have to create a situation where they trust you know what you're doing.

If you want fun, you have to make it fun.
    If you're looking for breezy, easy...you have to make it so.
    This is more for the am's though.
    The pros I've been lucky enough to shoot with can do anything, anywhere. They can give you knockout sexy in the middle of a sewer.

After makeup/wardrobe, we usually chat a bit to talk about what I'm looking for and set proper expectations.
    Let the model speak/give her opinion, even if its total shit, just so she thinks you care what she has to say.

I usually shoot for 10-15 mins at a time. If there's a stoppage for some technical reason, I halt it, and give the model 5 mins to get up, or put a robe on, etc.
    When we're ready, we bring her back in, get her focused and then hammer it for another 10-15 mins.

You treat her like a star, b/c for the duration of the shoot, its all about her.
    If she feels abused/used...it usually shows in the pics. Unless she's a real pro, but then she prob wont want to work with you again.

The point is to shoot in small chunks, just like you couldn't sprint for 1hr straight, you can't expect a model to hold and maintain for that either.

I'm sure others have different workflows and think this is total shit.. whatever works for them, more power to ya.
    This is just what works for me.

10. mikeskillz

mikeskillz New Member

golden :rofl:

but i like reading your longer posts. you should post more often.

11. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Makes sense, thanks!

12. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

the more outfits she brings the more possibilities for breaks she has.

If you notice she's starting to get bored, move locations (if you're shooting on location and can do so) or tell her to take a break and change outfits. While she's changing outfits set up your lights to what you want for the next set. Use an assistant, whether it be a friend, a spouse, a blow up sex doll, the MUA, whatever. Test your lights and settings BEFORE she gets in there if you can. Then when she comes back with her new outfit on you should be ready to go.

I typically try to let a model do 2-3 outfit changes in a 1-2 hour shoot. If we're on location it's a little harder for her to change sometimes, but the changing of spots and setting up lights again can give her the break she needs to relax.

13. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

my girlfriend models and she just always chats with the photographer while they are shooting. i guess it's all in the girl

14. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

but wait "she wants the pictures"

so tell her to stop fucking around while you are setting shit up.