How do you get the IP address of an access point/router?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Slid., Jun 20, 2006.

1. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Ugh, the second time in two days I've had to deal with this. We're in the process of adding several wireless access points to a warehouse. Being that they are all the same type (linksys) they all have the same default IP addresses. What would really help me out is a way to get the IP address of whatever access point I'm currently connected to. I'd think that a tracert would do that but that just starts me off at my main gateway.

I tried looking up for 'wardriving' tools since I figured this would be something pretty huge for that type of thing. I've done pings, I've run port scans through my entire network range and I can't seem to find this new unit.

I have a feeling that it tries to setup as 192.168.1.245 and finds that the address is already taken and it either a) doesn't do anything at all or b) assigns itself some obscure address that I'll never find.

The linksys CD setup doesn't find it either :noes:.

The only thing I can think of doing is turn off the other two access points then turn this one on and configure it with a different address. I might just have to do that :hs:

Any ideas?

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Nm, the access point only has one ethernet port to which you connect a router/hub/switch. Connecting the computer there would cause both units to :gfight: because of DHCP. I just gave the computer a static IP and wava, now I'm connected.

3. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Sic Semper Tyrannis

I have 4 AP running in one building and i set them up off the network first and changed them to static address.