How do you get scratches like this out?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by frozenunknown, Jun 27, 2005.

1. frozenunknown

frozenunknown what.

I recently got a 10 year old Nissan Altima with black paint. When I got it the paint was becoming dull and if you looked at it from the right angle it looked almost gray.

Out of curiousity one day I took some 3M Rubbing Compound to a little part of it, and it became a shiny black again. But, I think the rubbing compound just took off the smallest of scratches. There are still the larger scratches that the 3M isn't removing.

Would Swirl Remover take them out? I have no idea if it is harsher or softer than the Rubbing Compound I used.

Also, there are parts of the car where the paint is chipped. What kind of products do you use to fix it, and just how do you do it?

thanks a lot

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Pics would help. Rule of thumb though...if you can feel a scratch with your fingernail, you cannot completely remove it.

3. frozenunknown

frozenunknown what.

Could you touch it up though, make it close to gone?

Posting pics tonight.

4. frozenunknown

frozenunknown what.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The circled part is what the car most looks like in real life. It's got this gray haze over the black paint.

[​IMG]

The part circled is where I applied Rubbing Compound to. Notice that the fine scratches are gone, but there are bigger ones left on there.

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Looks like most of those could be removable.

But you would be hard pressed to do it by hand, unless you're willing to spend alot of time and effort into going at them. But, if you want to go that route, there is no better person for giving advice on hand scratch removal then Scott.

Personally, id hit it with my porter cable, some cuting compound and a cutting pad, and work my way up.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

What Buck-O said. Read the swirl remmoval by hand sticky if you don't want to buy a PC.

7. frozenunknown

frozenunknown what.

And Swirl Remover is the stuff that'll take them out?

The rubbing compound I used was "Fine Cut: 3M Rubbing Compound for taking out scratches 1500 grit and above"

I'm just checking that the Swirl Remover is more abrasive than that.

So the order should/could be:

Wash
    Clay
    Wash
    Swirl Removal
    Synthetic Wax
    ?

And about a PC, I'd much rather use one but don't see myself using it much more times than this. Could you rent one, or is hand my best bet?

8. 6']['9

6']['9 New Member

id think you can do it by hand and use that WG polishing pal. It comes with some 4" pads 2 finishing and 2 light cutting pads. If you work in some menzerna IP by hand i would bet it would come out . I just received mine and im thinking about doing a write up of removing swirls by hand cause ive done it once. Just so those naysayers can see it can be done by hand... it just takes a while to get it done and finish.

9. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

A write up would be great and appreciated.

10. frozenunknown

frozenunknown what.

I don't think Menzerna IP would work for those deeper scratches. It's rated for 2000 grit marks, and my 1500 grit rubbing compound coudln't even take them out.