SRS How do you get a doctor to listen?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Epiphany, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Epiphany

Epiphany 78% of all statistics are made up on the spot

So 6 years ago, I was drugged and raped by a friend. I believe I've always suffered from depression to a degree. I think that point in my life was a catalyst kind of spinning my life out of control for awhile. I denied it for a long time. I wanted to be strong. I didn't want people to look at me differently so I hid everything. I hid it from my family. I hid my feelings to the guy I eventually married... They all knew something was wrong because I used to get so sick.

I saw doctors. I developed acid reflux for what I now think is a result from everything I've held in on the inside. I denied that I had issues and they repeatedly tried to put me on anti-depressants. They were right I think now but I didn't want to deal with that at the time.

I still try to play the strong side but I sometimes I feel a little out of control. I suffer I think at this point in my life worse from anxiety when I feel things in my life moving out of my control. It can get pretty bad to the point were I'm so sick I can't eat for days. If I do eat, it comes right back up from the nausia. Food or the smell of food can make me gag.

I've talked to my doctors about this and I find it ironic that when I told them I didn't have a mental disorder years ago they didn't want to medicate me with anything but drugs along that line... Now, I go to them and tell them that I feel I would benefit from a drug like this and they deny that I need it. The anxiety is making me sick to the point I'm losing weight and sleep. They put me on sleeping pills and nausia medication which they'd normally prescribe for chemo patients.

I don't get it... It's like a control thing for them or something.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  2. Kytro

Kytro I am become death, shatterer of worlds

What sort of doctor are you seeing?

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Wow...doctors are sometimes soo wrong huh? It might be because of the time...they may think...welll 6 years has passed she's obviously ok.

I was in a car accident and had head trauma. I was suffering debilitating dizzy spells and went to see a neurosurgeon. He told me I was fine and to "get back to work". I'm still pissed about it to this day...I guess they are so used to being treated as gods that they have forgotten to listen to their patients.

Perhaps you should find another doc....one that will listen to you.

4. Talon

Talon New Member

Unfortunately, most physicians have developed habits that they're unlikely to break. If you have a problem with your physicians regarding not listening for example he's not likely to change his ways any time soon. This is my view as a medical student.

Shop around until you find one that you like.

5. bitetobreakskinn

bitetobreakskinn Blinky the Christmas Ghost

I don't know you, but your story sounds scary as hell.

If nothing else, you should really try to switch doctors, if yours makes you feel like that.

6. shiba

shiba Active Member

i hope yuo're seeing a psychologist and not a general practice doc.

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

It should technically be a psychiatrist because they are actual doctors that can prescribe medicine. Psychologists can't.

8. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

yep..

I hope you switch docs since the doc you're seeing is obviously a fucktard.