How do you format without deleting windows

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BlaqueMan, Jan 17, 2008.

1. BlaqueMan

BlaqueMan New Member

sos i finally got my computer working and i was wondering how t delete everything off it, even all the shit i can find, basically delete EVERYTHING but the OS

how might i do this? i hear there are certain utilities that let you

2. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

You cannot "format" without deleting the OS. The best thing you can do is run disk cleanup tools. I don't have any to recommend though because I format and reinstall Windows as needed.

3. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

Seconding just formatting and reinstalling. Sometimes you need to do it. My computer is about ready :sad2:

4. sk0rcher

sk0rcher The universe is watching

Wish it was possible...

5. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

You cant... everything will be gone once you format...

On a side note, when you install windows, set aside a partition (mine is 10gb) that will store ONLY the operating system, and maybe smaller programs that are easy to re-download. That way, if you ever need to do a clean install of windows, you only have to format that smaller partition. All your programs and data are saved. Works like a charm :bigthumb:

6. BlaqueMan

BlaqueMan New Member

thats a really good idea gus, thanks

7. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

If you have the space, I would use more than 10GB for the OS. I would use 20GB min. You need to plan ahead as it's a PITA to increase partition size later.

8. BlaqueMan

BlaqueMan New Member

what is the best way to format? when i put in the xp professional cd it only givess me the option to update

9. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

Are you booting off of the CD or just putting it in the system while it's booted?

Make sure any important files you have on your drive are backed up. Don't worry about backing up applications (like word, excel or games) but DO back up the data from them that you've saved (like .doc, .xls, pictures, etc). Once you format, they go bye-bye.

10. Blip

Blip Active Member

My Computer - right click C drive.....format ohnoes

11. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

How the F does that work? You must run into an assload of errors. Most programs use the system's registry.. which will not have any of the installed keys if you format.:ugh:

12. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

No errors here on any major programs (games, etc) some monitoring programs run into trouble, but for the most part all of your most important information is saved vs losing absolutely everything if you dont separate them

As far as partition size, 10gb works for me because the ONLY thing I put on that partition is the OS. So anything else that gets added is only small dll or system files added by programs. But, that is using xp. I would assume for vista you would need a much bigger partition

13. awns729

awns729 New Member

I had 10GB, I had to expand it though to 20GB, and even that is sometimes not enough. Keep in mind anything on your desktop or in my documents is C drive. so is the recycle bin. Also you want at least 30% free space no matter what.

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i've read that splitting a single drive up into multiple partitions actually slows down XP. it is much better suited to a single large filesystem.