How do you fit it all in? (not your usual "making time for the gym" thread!)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by RockDaBoat, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

I hit the gym 3-4 times a week (between my two jobs), each session I bust my balls with all the usual compound lifts, oly lifts etc etc.

By the end of each session I'm as weak as a kitten. If it's leg day I can't walk properly, or bend my knees too far without nealy falling. If it's back day my whole body is stiff (yes, there too!:naughty:). If it's chest day I've no strength in my arms and my chest is tight as hell... I was playing pool yesterday and it felt as if my breaks had no power behind them!

I love to play soccer, mountain bike, rock climb and do a lil k'boxing. But I always feel too sore/fatigued to really feel like I'm giving each activity my all.

So, how do you guys get round this? Is it something I'll have to work around and take on the chin? Or, will the soreness just go away as my muscles become used to the "heavy" gym loads? Maybe I'm not eating enough calories (sitting at 3500-4000 clean)?

I'm 6ft dead @ 205-210lbs @ 17% BF...

Oh and new bench PR yesterday, woo, 87.5kg (192 lbs!)

Thanks for any input.

2. Silmatharien

Silmatharien OT Supporter

Just gotta budget your time. Decide what's really important to you. What do you like the most? Rock climbing or the gym? Maybe you can do a little bit of both.

You can find the time ... if I'm working at 12 hour shift and can get to the gym, I'm sure you can.

3. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

Also, not sure what your goals are. If you are trying to be a PL or bodybuilder, I'm not sure it will ever go away. If you are just getting into shape, did you just start lifting? Usually DOMS (the soreness you are feeling) is the worst when you first get back into the gym, but after your body gets used to it is very minimal. I mean, you still get sore, but it isn't debilitating unless you really upped something.

Not sure of your activity level, but 3500-4000 calories shouldn't be too low of anything.

4. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

skip the gym when needed :bigthumb:

5. m0untaind3w

m0untaind3w OT Supporter

home gym ftw

6. Moolex

Moolex New Member

Your body can't necessarily do it all. You have to choose. If you want to be huge in the gym, you may not be able to be the best player on your basketball team that night, kinda have to decide what is the most important and make small sacrifices in other places, just find what is most enjoyable to you.

7. Plan B

Plan B New Member

if you're doing all those activities, it won't hurt to skip the gym once and a while :dunno:

8. hayWIR3D

hayWIR3D ** 40 days, 40 nights cumming to an OT near you **

Look into muscle recovery supps. They help.

I was taking some NO2 black from GNC which helped me gain lots of muscle mass as well recover well and experience some insane pumps at the gym. Look into it.

9. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

:rofl: most NO2 products are overpriced bullshit

You can train your body to adapt to the stress overtime but you will have to make choices. Most people can't go heavy as fuck in the gym and then bust ass on the court/field.

10. hayWIR3D

hayWIR3D ** 40 days, 40 nights cumming to an OT near you **

Ya. But with GNC's return policy, I returned the product with 15 caps left and got a full refund of $70+ tax. :)

11. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

12. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Silmatharien, it's not a question of trying to make time for the gym. I have two jobs, which means I work 60+ hours a week minimum. I still find time to bust my balls in the gym at least 3 times a week. It's a question of how I fit life's activities/my other interests around muscle fatigue and rest. :) Weightlifting is my number 1 hobby!

Crown_royal, my goal is to sit at 200-205lb at a low, though maintainable BF. I just want to be strong, fit, fast... athletic. I've been lifting (religiously) for nearly 4 months now, but been lifting inconsistently for years (kinda sad when I think about it). I'd say my activity level is high. I work 60+ hrs a week, in the gym for 5 hrs, 2.25 hours of soccer, 2 hours of k'boxing, the other activities are whenever I want to/feel like it.

Looks like I'll have to make some small sacrafices...

13. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

This will get better over time. Back off your intensity with the lifting and just give it time. You can make gains without going to DOMS.

14. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

I tried to fit it all in but Im getting a 4.0 at my university so I obviously dont have time.

15. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

gotta see what you really want in life... i skipped a workout once because i wanted to watch them surgically remove a breast tumor :bowdown:

16. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I don't really hang out with friends during the week, mainly on the weekends. Throughout the week I just do school and work and work out at night. It only gets tough during finals and what not. If I spent less time online I could hang out with friends around my gym time too. :o

17. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

the gym is a part of my life and I have to schedule everything around it.

18. knucks

knucks Active Member

You just have to make time. While not all of us are a 5min walk from the gym, I'm sure you can find an hour in a day to do it..

19. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

I just want to re-iterate...

The gym is my no.1 hobby. I make time for the gym the same way I make time for work... it's a given part of my week! But because I am always pushing my self hard in the gym, I feel as if my other sports/hobbies/interests are suffering because of my muscle fatigue (for example, soccer, hiking, mountain biking and kickboxing all kill me if I my leg day is within 2 days previous).

I fucking love the gym, if I have to give one thing up, it won't be the gym. But I was hoping you fine peeps would tell me to eat more cals + protein etc (for muscle recovery) and sleep more and that I'll get used to it as my body adapts. I guess not! :)

20. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

eat more sushi

21. Mike McDermott

Mike McDermott It's evolution, baby. OT Supporter

spread the lifts more throughout the week (i.e. 2 upper/2 lower split, or 3 day whole body split).

22. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

who isnt these days :hsd:

23. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

How do I fit it all in?

Well I use a lot of lube...

24. b21bballer

b21bballer Active Member

That's what she said..

:hsugh:

25. TZ