SRS How do you feel about adoption?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Headstrong, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Headstrong

Headstrong New Member

I may be having to make this decision soon. I raised her since she was born. Knew she wasn't mine. Broke up with mother. Mother tells real father (who's not white). Haven't talked to "my" little girl in 6 months. From what I gather, real father doesn't really want anything to do with her. I want her to have a father in her life. I don't know what the fuck to do.

2. Headstrong

Headstrong New Member

I have to make the decision to maybe pursue something before I consult a lawyer. I haven't decided if I wanted to do anything just yet.

3. Headstrong

Headstrong New Member

I live in Louisiana, and from what I'm gathering (this isn't concrete) that if you raise a child in this state for more than 2 years, you can be liable. I had her for 2 1/2. My name is on the birth certificate. Haven't signed anything to have it changed yet either.

If the real dad doesn't have anything to do with her, I can't fathom the thought of her having no one.

4. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

if you want to take on that responsibility then by all means do it. You seem to care for her a great deal.

but i can't see you doing this if the mother doesn't want it...how does she feel about this?

5. Headstrong

Headstrong New Member

I haven't talked to her about it. I have been extremely bitter towards her since she just took her away from me like it was nothing. But recently, I've started texting her and we've been civil. My niece and her and the little girl were VERY close. Come to find out, my niece is going stay the weekend with them (they live 2 hours away) next weekend. I don't know what type of conversations they've had, but she asks questions and he thinks the mother wants me to ask. But don't think I will because I haven't said anything. I don't want to say anything because I'm scared of being shot down and returning to square 1.

6. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

I totally, whole-heartedly agree. :wiggle:

7. Kirbys Autumn

Kirbys Autumn Mrs. Kirby McSpic

Agreed.

8. Headstrong

Headstrong New Member

So I decided to call her last night after not talking to her for 6 months. No contact, no nothing. It hurt too much.

I told the mom just put me on speaker phone and don't tell her who it is......as soon as I said "hey baby!", without hesitation and without skipping a beat or thinking about it she says "Hey daddy! I miss you!" I said "What are you doing??" She said "watching the Tiguhs!" (LSU freaks! National Champs btw :hsd:)

It meant alot to me how easy and fast the response to me was. I'm inching closer and closer to pursue possible visitation or something to that extent. Her mother is hinting at it but I'm sure she doesn't want to just come out and ask.

9. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

You are legally her father, even if you are not her biological father. Your name is on her birth certificate.

If the relationship between you and your ex isn't bad then visit her often, or if you need to grab a lawyer then do it. In any case, fight for her.

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

hes right man you should fight try and be civil at first and let her know whats up you want to be in the childs life etc. It can work out. My freind had a similar situation growing up. His step dad married his mom 2 years after he was born and untill he was 20 that was the only father he ever knew. When he turned 20 though his mom and step dad got divorced. They still talk to each other all the time and hang out all the time to him that is his father. So if you want to do the stand up thing fight for her.

try and be on good terms with your ex and see if you can be civil about it if you cant then you should persue legal options

11. Headstrong

Headstrong New Member

Well, lately I've been civil with the mother. Come to find out she's been wanting to call me for months but thought I hated her. I did, but you have to get past that for the little girl to grow up happy. Anyhow, January 26th!! :hsd: I'll see "my " little girl for the first time in 6 1/2 months! Color me excited.

12. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Great news. Sounds like things are on the right track.

13. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

:werd:

Congrats! Just remember that it is your daughter because you've helped raised her, and that you are her father legally. I hope all things work out!