how do you explain what networking is

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Homan, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

to a person who knows nothing about computers

made myself look like a dumbass trying to explain ot this girl what i was studying :wtc:

2. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

witchcraft

3. MP

MP New Member

I usually think of an analogy to go with whatever the person is into. I find car people have many good ones hehe.

for a girl you could try something like....hmmm....*thinks*...

maybe draw a picture? you could do like a small topolgy network, token-ring, etc etc (whichever one yer working on).

usually a picture is easyer to under stand then trying to explain it. :dunno:

Last time I tried to explain the basics of the x86 architechture to a girl it miserably failed. haha :hs:

4. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

you don't, I wouldn't stress myself with that shit, they wanna learn more then enough information about it, there's more then enough available, I would put it as 'connecting computers together'..it's on a need to know basis, and they dont need to know :squint:

heh

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

True. I get people all time asking me questions that I know they'll never understand the answer two without at least a year long class in Windows PCs.

Then I get people asking questions like "what's a file?". How the hell do you explain that? Its like describing "blue" to someone who's been blind since birth.

6. Balzz

Balzz N54 Elitist OT Supporter

Take 2 cans with a string. I work on the string.

7. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

that's the best line on this subject I've heard in a while. :rofl:

My line of thinking on this is that the more in depth I go, the more chance I have of losing their interest because, let's face it, not everyone gives a rat's ass about the fundamentals of <insert random technology here>, regardless of whether or not they asked. When they ask, usually they're just curious as to what you're doing and don't expect the answer to be so complex.

When the gf or one of my friends asks me what I'm doing, I try keep it as simple as possible. Put it terms that they will understand, even though you think you sound dumb doing it. I try to be careful with drawing the pictures though, you won't neccessarily smash any preconceived notions of 'nerdy computer guys' when you break out the diagrams.

And when in doubt, the witchcraft answer works pretty well too. :)

8. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Ask him if he understand how the phone system works?
    How when you want to call someone; you dail their number, the number is send to the phone company, they look at it and say ok this number goes to this phone, then that phone gets a signal that says 'hey someone wants to talk to you' aka the ring, that person answers the phone or doesn't, and you can now talk to each other.
    In this example, each person is a computer, the phone company is your ISP and talking is the data you're sending to each other, be it text in an IM or emal or even a file that is a movie or audio or just a picture.

The difference is that instead you're using a computer to talk to people all around the world, and it doesn't cost a ton in long distance charges.

Sounds corny maybe, but that should help them understand the bases of the internet and even LAN networking.

9. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I explained dial-up internet to my 90-year-old grandpa once. I compared it to a phone system with an operator, and I think he sort of understood. Phone system analogies work well.

10. Thrasher

Thrasher Guest

You take the words right out of my mouth :bigthumb:

11. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

make it as hard and confusing as possible so they dont bother u anymore :)

but the analogy i like to use is comparing it to a roadway system. car 1 at point A wants to get to point B.

roads = media
    homes = pc's
    driveway = nic
    cars = packets
    lag = rush hour
    stop lights = queues
    4way stops = FiFo

stuff like that. seems to work well. my cis 285 (end user support) we had to teach a class on something somewhat technicall to people who have no knowledge of the subject. well it was done on eachother, but i used that analogy and was the only one to get 100%. it ruled.

12. Homan

Well if someone wants to know what I do, I want to be able to explain it w/o making my job sound like a McJob

:eek3: I am using that from now on

13. Homan

File? thats easy to explain.

Just like any "file" in real life but when you open it to look at it, it can have sound or play video or simply be just text.

14. Homan

Yeah thats exactly how I feel, I dont want to be overly technical then they just wont understand or feel dumb but its hard to explain something to someone who has never been involved with it.

15. Homan

hehe computer plumber ^_^

16. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

well in all honesty if they dont know what networking is they are probally working a McDicks job themself and there's no need to impress those kinds of people anyhow :mamoru:

17. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

if you want to impress a chic with your computer skills, hax her home computer, and she will be all "omg hi2u buttsecks"

if people ask you at school, tell her your a pagan and this is how you warship your god, if she takes it seriously she is'nt worth your time.