MIL How do you determine if someone is a veteran ??

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EYOB, Nov 14, 2007.

1. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I used to think it was some who served or is serving in our military.

But when it comes to job applications and such, there seems to be different types of veterans.

Anyone have a clue about what I'm talking about ??
    Anyone know how I can find out what constitutes what type of veteran a person might be ??

2. EYOB

EYOB Guest

....24 months of continuous service or the full period for which called to active duty and served in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign bade is authorized.

What is the GWOT Medal classified as, if anything ??
    I've only served 11 months and 21 days of Active Duty, excluding training.

3. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

we got the GWOT straight outta AIT :dunno:
    the service medal though, not the expeditionary one

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

yeah I got GWOT ribbon right out of OTS

5. Vagitarian

Vagitarian New Member

Campaign would be Afghanistan or Iraq service.

6. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

I never understood how you Air Force guys justified that considering:

Service members must be assigned, attached, or mobilized to a unit participating in or serving in support of designated operations for 30 consecutive days or 60 nonconsecutive days, or must meet one of the following criteria:

* Be engaged in actual combat regardless of time in the operation; or,
    * While participating in the operation, regardless of time, is killed, wounded, or injured requiring medical evacuation from the operation.

Is your OTS somehow considered supporting a unit?

7. NPH

NPH Guest

There are like five different categories I think. The VA has them somewhere. I know because I have this little booklet on the MGIB and I fall under CAT 1. The rest are Vietnam, disabled, etc. I used to think a "veteran" was someone who participated in combat, but if you served (regardless of deployment status), you're considered a veteran. You must meet certain criteria though.

I'm a veteran :wiggle:

8. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

IMO Veteran = Deployed to theatre

9. NPH

NPH Guest

Support element :o

10. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

"Are you a veteran?"
    "Yeah"
    "Oh cool! Where did you go?"
    "California, North Carolina"
    ":hsugh:"

^ Just seems silly

I guess the deployed are combat veterans (even though some never see outside of the wire)

11. NPH

NPH Guest

Or you can just say "everywhere" or "I'm not allowed to talk discuss about it due to the specifics." [​IMG]

I served honorably.. that's more than what some people can say. So fuck'em if all they want to do is hear war stories. I can tell them my boot camp stories if that's what gets their juices flowing. :rolleyes: I joined after the terrorists attacks knowing I could be yards away from these fuckers one day.. just never happened, oh fucking well.

12. EYOB

EYOB Guest

The unit I was attached too was sent to Iraq. I had a chance, but they sent someone else in my place instead. :sad2:

13. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

:werd:

14. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

:ugh2: If you were in the REAR and you are prideful of your service, WHY TRY AND LOOK LIKE SOMEONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY GONE IN-COUNTRY with all your CIA 'I can't tell you' :mb: shit?

15. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Deployed Military Personnel have a better reputation then those that have not been deployed?

Everyone wants a better reputation. It just depends on how much of your emotions you want to sacrifice.

16. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

How would you know if someone was actually in combat vs. someone who was in a support role?

17. EYOB

EYOB Guest

medals/badges?

18. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Pretty sure the GWOT expeditionary medal qualifies you to be a part of the VFW, the service one doesn't since everyone gets it, it's like the national defense now.

19. EYOB

EYOB Guest

VFW?

20. EYOB

EYOB Guest

OK. I am not a Veteran.

21. NPH

NPH Guest

It's a fucking joke genius, relax. When I get asked if I was ever deployed, everyone tells me something positive about never going over there. At the same time, I'm sure they'd say the same thing knowing that I made it back safe. I wouldn't make some bullshit up about being anywhere I wasn't. That's not me and I'd feel shitty about it. Shit, they're proud enough knowing I decided to join during a time of war. My chances going where as good as the next guy, just never happened. I got stuck in a fucking building my entire enlistment, that place sucked me in.. it was like a prison sentence.

Most employers aren't gonna give a shit whether you deployed or not. They look at your DD214 and that's about it. Their main concern is that you served and got out voluntarily and would question otherwise. Medals aren't going to give you more money out in corporate America. Maybe a pat in the back and welcome home johnny. Fuck that noise. Unless you are trying to work for Blackwater or some other government agency that wants overseas experience.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2007
  22. dura

dura Guest

In the Army, the CAB/CIB/CMB are worn by personnel who have met the criteria for actual combat. Not everyone wears their stuff though. The combat patches are worn to signify service in a combat zone, regardless of being engaged or not.

23. NPH

NPH Guest

They have different medals.. the one we reported a lot was the Combat Action Ribbon. Like all awards, you have to meet specific criteria to rate it.

24. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Veterans of Foreign Wars

25. tattooed_sailor

tattooed_sailor New Member

I've got the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and the GWOT Expeditionary so I think I'm covered here :big grin: