SRS How do you define smart?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by schmitty101, Dec 24, 2009.

1. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

I score good on tests in school and I'm told I'm smart and very intuitive by people here and there. So I guess it's ironic that I feel like a retard most of the time. I look around at other people and even though they may not know math/science/history, they appear to live their lives just following their heart. Person #1 may be "smart" and structure their future in the most logical way, but then person #2 who isn't considered "smart" just follows their heart will end up living a "fuller" life. Person #2, from my experience, usually has an easier time fitting in and making friends. If you look at it this way, isn't person #2 actually smarter in a way? This makes me wonder what exactly "smart" is? How do you define it?

2. I Flogged Molly

I Flogged Molly New Member

If you try to define intelligence you will be sorely disappointed by what you'll come up with. Some people say intelligence is the ability to memorize, some say it's the ability to predict, some say it's the ability to correlate. It's an incredibly general term, and one that I don't think has any place in science without qualification and subdivision into more manageable, appropriate categories.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

well people used to make a definition between street smart and book smart, or in other words you might know the math, but simply not how to deal correctly with people. And as above person said, there are many things that define intelligence, what is handy in some places may be completely useless in other places.

4. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

I've always thought that being smart was having the ability to solve problems. Maybe not all problems but thats where you come up with street smart and book smart. Honestly I'd rather be street smart as its more of a practical application. You use those smarts to do anything in your daily life. I've always considered myself smart because any problem I come up to I can within a few seconds have come up with what the problem is and at least one if not more solutions for that issue.

5. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

"Smart" is really relative to who you are. it can be defined how you want to define it. For example: I know jack shit about big cities and what they entail. I would be considered stupid, due to my ignorance, were I to move to a big city. Now, here in good 'ol Vermont I know a lot about my surroundings, and could show you some pretty kickass hiking, riding.. etc spots. The way I define "smart" is simply being very knowledgeable in the areas you know. I am computer-smart and horse-smart.. I am an automotive idiot.. despite many classes and hours trying to learn about them.

6. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I consider a person smart if they actually try to figure stuff out for themselves, instead of constantly asking someone else what to do.

There are many different aspects of intelligence, but your friends who live by their hearts are probably being smart, since they're actually going for what they want, as opposed to someone who always does what they 'should', as opposed to what they really want to do

7. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

To me being smart is a measure of your ability to handle and adapt to any situation based on your education and experiences.

It doesn't take much to be book smart. Read a little, answer a few questions on a test...but that doesn't mean that you actually KNOW the material. I took Art this semester. I got a 96% in the class, but I couldn't tell you shit about Art.

However I know alot of shit about computers, so I can fix one in a jam if needs be. My friend is a mechanic so he can fix our car if we break down. If you ask me you're smart if you have useful knowledge.

So if you ask me, the guy who dropped out of high school, but knows how to fix cars like a master is smarter than the asshole who has a PhD in Russian Literature because he had nothing better to do and just wanted any degree. It's funny because those intellectual types are the ones who are the most pretentious and full of themselves, when their degree is just a monument to mental masturbation.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  8. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Is this common sense versus intelligence?

Person #2 may be less smart and more happy with what they have, may even be very ambitious and achieving his desired goals in life which might be to do with family, or something else. Person #1 may be stuck in a rut constantly trying to improve, I know people like this who argue it's the ideal way to live life and I strongly disagree with them.

I don't know what direction the OP wanted to take this discussion.

9. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I am in awe of people who are book smart, but nt many of them are also street smart.

10. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd:

To adapt the phrase, not many are people of the streets and freaks of the sheets (of paper in a book) :mamoru:

In addressing the original post though I would NOT use test scores to define how smart someone is in terms of book OR street smarts. The reason I say that is that I've never tested well but am incredibly good at taking in and retaining facts, figures, and other random information but never good at spitting them back out into test answers. I've been told that it's because I over think things and arrive at answers beyond what is being looked for.

11. wimp

wimp New Member

I don't understand. A test usually asks for a specific answer. Perhaps you're not reading the question carefully?

12. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:hsugh:

13. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

To me, that test worked. Being able to memorize facts != being smart. Being able to apply your knowledge to solve a problem is the essence of being smart to me.

14. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I'm not sure that I can even articulate how I define smart because any definition I provide will still miss some aspect of intelligence.

Take for example a friend of mine in HS. Everyone said he was dumb and lacked intelligence. He was constantly put in learning disabled classes and struggled all through school. So while I sailed through HS without ever really studying all that hard, he had to work his ass off to get worse grades than I got.

Yeah it really seemed like he was stupid and/or less intelligent. However, I knew better. I had hung out with him enough to know that he was far more intelligent than people gave him credit for being. I knew that he had enormous smarts and that he didn't always show everyone how smart he was.

He would hold back or act silly or stupid when around people he wasn't comfortable with....this all added to other people thinking he was stupid. However around me and our group of friends, his intelligence would shine through.

Now he didn't know a lot of things we all knew. Like he would get tripped up on complex math problems where we didn't. We could do complex additions, subtractions, multiplications and divisions in our head while he would either reach for a calculator or have to write it out. This was excruciatingly slow at times.

Now fast forward to Uni times. I'm in a member of a frat and he wants to join but we have academic requirements. He couldn't meet those and other members were saying he was stupid.

I reassured them that he wasn't stupid, he was just being forced to study things that didn't appeal to him. Guess what, he never got initiated but didn't quit. He changed unis and started studying a subject that really appealed to him and he started getting straight As.

He since learned that he was a genetic defect in his eyes that affect what he sees when he's reading. This is something that's caused by how light reflects off of the page and strikes his eyeball and he got special glasses that help filter out a certain wavelength of light. These glasses have helped him read and now he sees the written page like most people do.

He's gone on to make a shit ton of money, has a beautiful house, wife and child. He never was dumb but he was/is challenged in many ways that most of us aren't.

So I have always had a very difficult time explaining why I knew this friend was smart and everyone was simply wrong about him. It's really too bad because people's ignorance caused him to be classified as LD and he suffered senselessly because of this misclassification.

15. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

Good story. I can't help but :rofl: @ the fact that struggled so hard with HS and for some reason thought college would a good idea.

16. JudyVu

JudyVu New Member

I pretty much define it as me.

17. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

even with such an arrogant definition as that, you still could elaborate more, by describing what aspects of yourself you believe make you smart

18. JudyVu

JudyVu New Member

This is the Asylum, Ameter. I''m allowed to actually have fun here LOL.

19. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

The asylum has many more rules than On Topic actually :mamoru: But supporting your arguments isn't one of them. My bad, I thought this was in On Topic :o

20. 7960

7960 New Member

I know you're a woman, but try to follow my logic

......ok, we'll assume you're smart (link)

and you're in awe of someone (link) who's not yet an astrophysicist (link).

it's well established that physics is just applied math (source below)

[​IMG]

now, seeing as I have a degree in math (link)

..................if you're in awe of someone with a lesser degree than mine, you must think I'm a GOD!!

21. PepsiMax

PepsiMax New Member

Reductionism!

22. JudyVu

JudyVu New Member

LOL, now this is worth my time!

23. JudyVu

JudyVu New Member

BTW: my son has a genius IQ, but flunked out of college. He has different skills, such as kindness, affabilatly, manners, etc. But he's a stoner.

24. JudyVu

JudyVu New Member

OH, and Sociology wins, every time LOL.

25. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Wonder why he flunked out.

P.S. Where did he get tested, and what was his IQ?