WEB How do you create a layout?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hurleyint1386, Aug 28, 2007.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I've been more on the development side of things rather than the design side of things. I would love to become a web developer for a career, however I feel as if I should have some background in the design aspect of things. So I was wondering: how do you begin a layout for your sites? Do you use Photoshop (or any other similar application) to design a basic layout, then use CSS to create it? It seems like many designers create images and use them to make the layout, but some use straight CSS for everything. If anyone could school me on the design process, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm just looking to learn. So if I'm screwing something up, just let me know.

2. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

most good gd's use illustrator, I don't know it so I use photoshop, then I slice it in imageready or ps and code it in a editor.

3. rYu

rYu OT Supporter

3 p's . practice practice practice

4. hurleyint1386

well i would love to practice, but i want to practice the right way. how many people use illustrator to come up with a layout then slice it up and insert it into the site?

5. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

i can code ok, but the design part is what kills me. i cant design for shit.

6. hurleyint1386

werd. i'm in the same boat. i just declared a media arts minor hoping i'll learn some more about it

7. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

photoshop, design rough layout, slice it up, html it, finalize ??? profit

If im doing flash Ill do flash first then PS later. If web designing is what you want to learn, start looking at PS, flash and CSS. Most positions that are open for designers are these requirements but a plus is other backend stuff like MySQL and then you have ColdFusion, ASP and PHP, Java. Flash is easy but need patience with it to learn, inserting keyframes can be a pain. There are ton of photoshop and html tutorials on the net some PS are not up to date with 9 CSx but principle is the same

8. hurleyint1386

im going to school for software development, so i'm doing plenty of c++, etc and i started doing php+mysql a while back, and i love it. so i am a programmer, just not a very good designer. i'll need to work on it

9. Mikey

Mikey This one, this form I hold now, so Wide eyed and h

I use photoshop. I don't see a need to use illustrator for a web design template. There isn't a need for it to be vector.

I try to make anything I can CSS without an image, just to lighten the page load.

10. hurleyint1386

this is what i've done in the past. i do everything in css, but i cant get those nice graphical shadows, or things like that

11. BrettRT

BrettRT New Member

Here's what I tell people who want to get started in web design:

1. Find a website you like, alot
    2. Screenshot
    3. Open photoshop, paste the screenshot.
    4. Change a whole bunch of shit but keep the structure, add in your own colors, play with fonts, the whole nine yards.

Obviously this is really only for new designers so that they stay inspired during the entire first design process.

You can then move on to looking at showcase sites, getting ideas here and there, and begin building your own stuff from scratch.

12. hurleyint1386

That's not a bad idea. I'll try that. I've got this assignment I'm supposed to do for a class, where I need to take a physical object, then find out as much information as I can about it, then make a website for it (must be multiple pages). So I'm using my MacBook Pro as the object. just hope I can think of a decent design. I'm not an artistic person at all

13. BrettRT

BrettRT New Member

That's a great object to choose, especially for your first design. You can totally apply some "web 2.0" features to your design, which APPLE itself is a fan of.

If I were you i'd look at the apple site, and a bunch of apple followers websites, see if a design strikes you, and go with it.

14. hurleyint1386

Thanks a lot. I think I'll do that. The project is due the 12th, so I've got some time. I hope I can get it all ready though! I'm the only one in my class with developing experience, and everyone else in my class has design experience, so it should be interesting