How do you change the Boot & Log In screen?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coco Monkey, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey OT Supporter

I'm trying to make the computer pretty. Currently running winxp, and im looking at Themexp.com. They have a "walkthrough" on how do to it, but it seems kinda confusing. Is it just me, or do all i have to do is just overwrite the current .exe that windows has with the one from the .zip file i download off the site? they're talking about backing up copies of the original .exe and booting up in safe mode and shit.

Am i looking into this too much? :dunno: Or at the very least can someone explain how to do it in english?? much thanks. :wavey:

2. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

I think StyleXP does that? Did you check that out yet?

3. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

use STYLEXP its alot safer and that way you wont fuck up something and then have your OS fucked up. best way to edit it is using something that they made for this very purpose.

4. druid

druid What do the 5 fingers say?

If you dont know how to use regedit then you'd better stick with the stock windows or use stylexp. If you know how to use regedit then here is what you do.

Download the new login you want, unzip it and then rename it. Something like logonuiTheme.exe or logonui2.exe....you get the point just pick a name for it. Once you have changed the name copy it to Windows\system32\

Then you start regedit, goto:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows NT
    Current Version
    Winlogon

Once there edit the entry for UIhost, change the value to the name of the new logon you just downloaded. And your done.

5. Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey OT Supporter

yeaaaaaaaaaaah, i tried it. and it worked... but when windows would boot, it would ask what OS i wanted to load. Either windows xp pro, or windows xp pro. hmmm... yes.

so one system restore later, its fine. and i have learned my lession not to fuck with anything like that ever again. thank you.

6. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Get the current issue of 2600. It has a whole article on modifying screen resources.