how do you call a SQL script inside a java program?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HardTech, Apr 16, 2005.

1. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I have these scripts just ready to go, but I have no idea how to call them :hs:

also, do i just put SQL commands in the script, and calling the script will do those commands in SQL?

Thanks

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

3. HardTech

HardTech hungry

let me try to explain my situation a little better

I have no problems connecting to the database and creating tables or inserting rows... however, at the end of my program, when the user logs out, I want the tables to all be dropped and then re-created, and have all of the records re-inserted... kind of like a refresh

but instead of having to drop 3 tables and re-create them, along with reinserting the values, I was wondering if there was a way I can call a SQL script I already made to automatically do it inside the code... the script I have is called "table.sql", and have no idea on how I would go about implementing this.

I could just do it the old-fashioned way and do it manually, i.e. read each line of code from the script and execute it on the database, but I was hoping there was an easier way

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

what type of database are you dealing with? i know there is a way with sql server to call something like that from the command line, so you could just essentially run a system call, and pass in the filename as the parameter. I know most database system's don't like you to just throw the whole thing into a single command with code either, so you'll definately have to break it up if you want to do it all in code. I used to do it like this:

.sql file:
    Code:
    delete from table myTable;

**END STATEMENT**

drop table myTable;

**END STATEMENT**

create table myTable ( ....

then i would open the file in code, and execute the commands one at a time, but i would split them up by that **END STATEMENT** so i could execute them one at a time.

psudo code:
    Code:
    sSql = readFromFile( "myFile.sql" )
    sqlArray = split( sSql, "**END STATEMENTTT**")

foreach( stmnt in sqlArray )
    {
        db.Execute( stmnt );
    }

also, you mentioned running the script when the user exits the program? I would suggest you do that on startup instead. What if the application crashes and your script doesn't get run? What if the computer gets shut off before the app is closed? At least you know that if you run it on startup, before the app really fully loads that when the user sees his/her environment, that you have clean tables.

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

if its a mysql database use jconnect. makes crossplatform dev easier

6. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

why not use cachedrowset rather than having to modify the database?