How do you bring back the shine on dull faded paint?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Shaggy Rogers, May 12, 2005.

1. Shaggy Rogers

Shaggy Rogers New Member

The car is red, but the paint is faded and really dull. The previous owner used some kind of rubbing compound on one of the fenders, so it actually looks red/good again. Should I do the whole car with this stuff? Can I use a buffer? Do detailing shops offer any service to bring back dull paint, so that I can prevent ruining it by trying it myself? Thanks

2. Ridley

Ridley New Member

Makita Rotary with Meguiars DACP after washing and claying. I've had success with this combination in the past with the exact type of situation you are describing. Using a rotary is definitely not for the novice.

It can be done without one, but it would take a considerable amount of time.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You looking for results like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Read through the remove swirls by hand sticky, same procedure with oxidized paint but you will be turning the towel after each section since it will be clogged with dead paint.

I'd recommend using the Poorboy's SSR polishes since you will be working by hand (or if you purchase a buffer like the Porter Cable 7424). Probably start with 2.5 and you may have to go over the car twice initially. Follow with their Polish w/carnauba, again you may have to go over the paint twice. I'd go with a paste wax over a liquid wax because pastes are less likely to streak on single stage paint jobs. Collinite, Poorboy's and Finish Kare all have good paste waxes that are also durable. If you can still find Meguiars #16, that is also an excellent choice.

4. spark plugs.

spark plugs. beautiful. OT Supporter

god, i miss #16. :wtc:

5. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Thank God I have 5 tins left :o

6. millennium328

millennium328 New Member

you could take it to a detail shop and have them do a full cut and buff... I detail personally and i use 3M products. If you buff it with the rubbing compond then polish it with foam pad poilsh and then go over it with a glaze ur care sould come back to life... remeber to keep waxing with the a glaze type wax once a month or once every other month too keep it looking beautiful.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Good point. If the paint has faded, it will keep on fading if you don't keep up on it very regularly. I'd go no more than 6 weeks between glaze and wax jobs.