SRS How do you become successful at life?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BradUF, Mar 14, 2007.

1. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I really, really want to avoid being 25 and working a job making 10/hr. I just seem to know way to many people who are at that age and have done nothing or my age and doing nothing. I can't say I am that great even though I do go to school. I haven't worked in a year, I don't need to because I have money but I miss working. I am almost 22 and I really want to get a job making 12/hr, no more then 30 hours a week because of school but I can't seem to find anything really that does not require some type of cert or skill. My last job I made 8.50 an hour and it really felt like I was making nothing at all. I was not making enough to save up or anything and the pay cap was at 14/hr and that was after years of being there.

I still live at home, not that I can't aford to move out. It is just that if I move out I want the money I make to support me and not the money I have to support me.

Also, I just don't feel getting threw school will do it for me. I need more then that. I need something in between a degree and while I am going to school. Not just to go to school everyday and come home do a little homework and fuck around. I want my whole day to be used up and not mess with my grades. I like to work and do things, I cant even stand to sit around and play wow anymore because it seems like such a waste of time.

I am just so worried because it seems like so many people just end up doing nothing besides working at some bullshit job for the rest of their lifes. I highly doubt that is what most of them want but clearly it happens.

I am even going to start taking ADD meds again to see if that changes things. It is just when I get a bullshit midless job I become depressed after being their for a few months and hate going in more then anything.

I just look back and think damn where did 19-22 go? I should have atleast got an AA or something... I wasted years of my life and have nothing to show for it...Nothing besides a few prep classes out of the way with OK grades.

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

do what you want to do.

3. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I know what I want to do for school.

4. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Clearly, that does not work. I am sure everyone that ends up being working class did what they wanted to do and look where it got them.

5. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I feel the same way, I see a lot of people I graduated high school with starting in their careers and making really good money, and I just sit there and try to figure out where I went wrong.

6. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I know people who are 22 and doing their internships to be a doctor. It drives me crazy.

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I don't mean get drunk and smoke a pack a day and screw off in school because that's what you want to do.... I mean, if you want to be a painter, then be a painter. If you want to be rich, then do what you have to do to be rich. If you want to be happily married, then search for a person you could be happily married to.

Do what you want to do in life, and you'll be successful.

8. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I want to be rich and married. Not like millions but well off. I just can't seem to find the energy like some of these people to work 5 days a week and take 6 classes a term.

9. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Again I feel the exact same way, it's like I'm lacking the motivational spark that everyone else has.

10. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I think if I could find a job that does not drive me insane that would be a good start.

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

maybe you guys are simply lacking a sense of reality. If you really want these things you need to work hard to get them. This is everybody's motivation... they accept the fact that they need to put in all those hours at work and school in order to have a lot of money... You have to become your career, you can't just want something and then it appears in front of you.

12. Aradia

Aradia New Member

i.e. : Live Life. :bigthumb:

13. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I know you have to work hard to get these things it is just as soon as I start to take too many classes or work too many hours I start to fail some of my classes, feel like shit at work and become depressed.

14. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I have goals...

• Pay off 14k on car
    • Lose weight
    • Buy condo
    • Finish school
    • Get another hot girl friend
    But how the hell am I supposed to pay off my car and start payments on a condo if I only make 10k a year...

15. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

I think one of the problems might be that you think you can find some job that makes tons of money just starting out. Usually, you can't. You're probably going to have to find an entry level position and work your way up in whatever field you like.

Think about it....there are tons of people who want to make lots of money in any given field. Are they going to put people just starting out in these high paying/high responsibility jobs? No, they will put someone with experience and qualifications who has SHOWN that they can do the job.

16. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Im not looking to make tons of money starting off but I need a job I can work my way up at at least start off making 10/hr. Clearly if I get another job as a stock clerk or in retail I am not going to go anywhere and my pay cap will be like 13 an hour, only after being there for like 4 years too.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007
  17. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

What field do you want to work in?

18. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Environmental engineering, and there is nothing I can do until I have a degree. I just need a job until I have a degree. Right now, until I have a degree I would love to work in IT but everything seems to require loads of certs.

19. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Realistically, it's doubtful that you will find a part-time job that will pay over $10/hr without having a degree.

I suppose you could try working for a telemarketing company...

20. BradUF

BradUF Guest

There has to be something I can make 10/hr at... I can't just sit around and wait until I get my degree which is 4 years, then 2 years of grad school.

21. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Try a bank. I made $9/hr working as a teller back in the summer of 2000 when I was home from college. It probably pays more now. However, I also traveled to a few different branches in the area so I made a little more than normal tellers.

22. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Yeah bank pays like 12 an hour a now but they usually only hire people with 6 months to a year of experince as a cashier. I have experience as a stock clerk at a quailty grocery store that is a very good refernce.

23. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

I was told the secret to success by an EXTREMELY successful man. He moved to the U.S. when he was a young teen by himself, borrowed 300 from the bank to learn english, and now he owns a winery, much of downtown Carmel CA, and has property in San Francisco.

Its very simple:

1. Know yourself. If you dont know yourself, how can you expect to do anything to make you happy?

2. Know the other person. If you are in business for example, know who your target audience is.

3. Know your business. If you're a musician, learn how to play music. If you're into the tech world, read the tech news and keep informed.

4. Apply your knowledge. Take what you've learned and TAKE ACTION. Dreaming is great, but wont get you anywhere. Do something with your drive and your skills.

24. Nilinet

Nilinet New Member

Sometimes the most simple explanations, are the truest, most helpful ones.

This has got to be the best one on this board.
    Pretty much, you have to have a strong drive.. and USE it.

And keep in mind, you can't have everything. Not all at once. So focus on your priorities. When things settle, progress further.

This reminds me of a Sandman quote "Wish in one hand, and shit in the other. See which one fills up first."

You'll never get anywhere unless you're DOING something.

25. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

for starters, stop thinking you're better than everyone else

I still remember that other thread

Despite this being the asylum, I'm going to go with my original response

Fuck off, you elitist prick