How do you backup everything up on your pc?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Professor, Jan 16, 2007.

1. I'm about to reformat my pc, but I dont want to have to go through this crap again. How do I back everything up?

ibnoob

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I use MSBackup's ASR tool. (ASR = Automated System Restore.) It does a great job of letting me restore my computer, good as new, after doing something very unpleasant to the hard drive. That said, it will somewhat defeat the purpose of reformatting, because it will copy all of your programs and files and settings back the way they used to be. If you're having problems with bad sectors on your hard drive, then this is a good way to get your data off the drive and back on after reformatting. If your problem is actually with the stuff you've installed, then this is not such a good method.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

I remove the data to a NAS, reformat and reinstall, put the data back. I should probably take an image of a newly installed system before I put the data back but re-install really doesn't take that long and I do it at work so there's no rush.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Sounds like you want something like Ghost.
    Reformat. Reinstall OS and get everything just the way you want. Ghost it.
    Then on the next format you can just recover from the Ghost.

5. Ok so how do I create an image, or a ghost (if that's the same thing) once I get everything working the way I want it to?

6. 7960

7960 New Member

you buy a legal copy of norton ghost and learn how to use it

7. Oh... I didn't know that was a program. Thanks..

8. 7960

7960 New Member

There are others...I've used imagecast when I had a portable classroom. It was easier to blow everything away and start fresh than trying to re-install everything before the next class. I believe imagecast has been discontinued. Norton Ghost is really the big name in disk imaging.

9. Scud

Scud I'm an aquired taste.

I've used Norton Ghost in the past. Worked great, saved the image to an external hard drive with just a fresh install of xp, office, and macromedia studio mx. Then I just backed up my pics, music, etc on that ext. drive.