WEB how do start a forum?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TomBrady, Sep 3, 2009.

1. TomBrady

TomBrady New Member

im planning on starting a moto forum and was just wondering where to begin. What software do you guys reccomend? i do like OT's layout but its probably super expensive for the software right?

i may plan to go with vbulletin
    i already bought the domain
    will buy hosting
    some questions i have is
    - do i still need to make a design like a planned in dreamweaver or is taht part of the forum software, where i can just upload a banner etc?

in terms of making money, how would i do this? is it per/hits or should i go with ads? if i wanted to go with google ads how would i begin incorporating the ads to the page so that it only pops up when the user is at a LOG IN loading screen so its not distracting. thanks!!

2. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

forum software for the design

and forums are shitty to make money on, google ads and what not will not do that good

better off selling ad space and memberships

3. TomBrady

TomBrady New Member

thanks
    heres another question unrelated---
    i have a domain name and i want to make a blank page and put ads on it. how do i use the google ads thing i read a few months ago on here? its like a service that i sign up for to place ads on my page and get paid monthly. how would i go about setting this up?

4. AstroHud

AstroHud New Member

Just out of curiosity how do you plan on getting people register and actively use your forums?

5. K-14 Blackhead

K-14 Blackhead New Member

It sounds like you're honestly trying. But getting people to register and actively post in the forum is the most important thing. It's simply a huge waste of time making it look pretty if you have a dead forum.

6. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

Start off getting a basic hosting plan + domain, try and get hosting that has Fantastico included, then you can just click-to-install PHPBB or something.. leave it all standard to get started, and try and get some members.

Use that first step as a learning experiment.. then if you start getting actual traffic and members, you can worry about implementing a custom design, porting it to vBulletin, or whatever else you want (or at that stage, get someone to help you)..

That's the cheapest/easiest way to test the waters and at least see if you have potential..

7. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Forums are major hard work to get active. But fun none the less.