How do I watse the gigs on my D: instead of my C: drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Golly I'm Gully, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Golly I'm Gully

Golly I'm Gully OT Supporter

Hopefully someone here understands what I'm trying to explain.
    OK, I just bought a new computer a few days ago & it came with 80gb. I started downloading stuff on my computer and then I went to My Computer to check how many gigs were left on it, so I highlighted C: and it said "Free Space:4.91gb" & "Total Size:13.9gb." So then I highlight D: and it said "Free Space: 55.4 gb" & "Total Size: 55.5 gb."
    I'm used to seeing all the gigs on the C: not the D:.

So my question is what should I do so that whenever I download, or install shit on my comp. that it'll waste my D: gb instead of the C:.
    I thought about dragging my Prgram files from my C: to the D: but I was scared that something would mess up.
    Any help appreciated
    Thanks

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

you just gave me a heart attack. do not do this, ever.

anytime you download something from IE or whatnot, it will ask you where to place the file. if you download it to your desktop, it will use space on the C drive. you have to manually select a destination on the D drive. i recommend creating a directory on the D drive labeled "downloads" or something.

similarly, when installing programs, they usually default to a location in c:\program files\. you do not have to install to this location. for example, if you are installing "My Cool App", install to D:\MyCoolApp instead of C:\program files\MyCoolApp.

however, once you have installed something, it's not a good idea to move it unless you know what you're doing.

3. Golly I'm Gully

Golly I'm Gully OT Supporter

Alright thanks alot man, & thanks for letting me know not to move the program files over to the D: drive.

4. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

He's right, doing all that stuff is a good way to use the D:\ space instead of the C:\ space. Use the D drive for any data storage, word files, pictures or what not as well. Also, you can change the settings in Internet Explorer so that the Temporary Internet Files Folder is housed on D as well.