How do I watch cable television on my LCD monitor?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Changed, May 24, 2007.

1. Changed

Changed Guest

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

The monitor only has DVI and VGA inputs. Unless you have a HD cable box that supports HDMI/DVI, then you're not going to connect the cable box directly to the monitor. If you're going to be using it with your laptop, I think the best bet is one of those USB TV tuner dongles.

3. Create

Create :free at last:

Hauppage PVR-250 + BeyondTV. It's pricey, but beats the living crap out of ATI solutions.

This came recommended by jollyogre. I have been using mine for a few weeks and am 110% happy with it. You don't have to fight with the hardware, as I've had to with ATI cards. No blips, video abberrations - not a single complaint.

4. Changed

Changed Guest

This will be in my dorm room next semester, so it wont be HD anyway. I just want to be able to use the monitor for playing xbox360; and since my TV is a piece of shit, I figured I could just set it up to function as my TV as well.

So I'm looking to run the cable from the wall, into the monitor (bypassing the laptop): is that possible?

edit: just found this: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-8900_7-5128428-1.html

5. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Not possible because the monitor doesn't have a built-in tuner.

That would work as a stand alone tuner, but picture-in-picture would have to be a feature supplied by the monitor. My old dell monitor has a PIP feature for multiple inputs, but I don't know if that one does. With a USB tv tuner on your laptop, the tv picture would appear in a moveable, resizeable application window on your desktop.

6. Create

Create :free at last:

from your article:

7. Changed

Changed Guest

so what about audio for this set up? I have Logitech Z5500 speakers (5.1)

I planned on hooking them up via optical cable to my Xbox360, but not sure how that will work now (to provide audio for TV as well).