How do I uninstall internet explorer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hyachacha, Apr 27, 2007.

1. hyachacha

hyachacha New Member

Internet Explorer is giving me so many pop-ups even though I'm only using Firefox.

How do I uninstall IE?

I tried to delete it but it just comes back. I also tried removing the program but it didn't seem to work.

I'm sure it isn't complicated. Can someone help me please?

2. hyachacha

hyachacha New Member

I assume it's funny because it's so simple?

3. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Removing Internet Explorer 7
    • Click your Start button, then go to Control Panel
    • Go to Add or Remove Programs
    • Go to Change or Remove Programs and make sure "Show updates" is checked.
      • If you are running Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview or a later version, it is no longer necessary to check "Show updates."
    • Scroll down on the list and highlight the version of Internet Explorer 7 that you are running.
    • Click "Remove" to uninstall. [3]

Remove Internet Explorer from Windows

Although uninstalling Internet Explorer from Windows is possible, you are advised not to remove IE for a number of reasons:
    1. Many web sites are programmed to work only with Internet Explorer. For example, webmasters authoring a site may have not tested with other web browsers. The majority of websites on the Internet should work with Mozilla browsers, but there are some sites that appear distorted or inaccessible unless IE is used as a browser.
    2. Windows Update requires Internet Explorer. As an alternative, you may be able to manually download security updates, but it will require more monitoring and work than letting Windows Update handle this for you.
    3. Some anti-virus products require IE for updates. Live updates or automatic DAT updates used by both Norton and McAfee are built on Internet Explorer's foundation. You may be able to manually update your virus signature files but it could require more work.
    4. Both removing and restoring IE is risky and difficult. IE is complex with extensive hooks built into Windows, for efficiency and functionality. Thus unplugging it from your system may impact Internet connectivity, Windows functionality, and break functionality in Microsoft Office and non-MS products.
    5. IE is more than a browser, it is the foundation for Internet functionality in Windows.
    If, despite this advice, you would still like to uninstall IE, then LitePC is a good place to start. LitePC or any other third-party program that removes IE is most definitely not recommended for novice users. However, instead of uninstalling IE, you should consider alternatives such as making IE more secure, or hiding Internet Explorer

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Internet_Explorer

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The reason you are getting all those pop-ups is probably because of Spyware. Run a good virus and spyware scan on your PC.

If you get rid of the spyware, IE will not be in the way...

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Removing IE would be rather silly since that's not your problem

6. hyachacha

hyachacha New Member

Since all my pop-ups were coming up with internet explorer i figured i could just uninstall it and use firefox. Guess not.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll get some anitvirus software running.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The pop-ups are a symptom of a bigger problem, that's all we're saying