How do I Un-Install windows XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by n1ck54, Jan 30, 2007.

1. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

So the situation is that I have two differant copies of windows XP installed on the same partition. I only use/need one of them, so how do I uninstall the other?

2. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

How the hell did you pull that off?

3. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

:o well...

my computer was having problems and I didn't know if the problem was hardware or my windows copy, so I installed another copy of windows to see. Turned out being the hardware, so I dont need the extra copy of windows... how do i get rid of it?

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

This has got to be a Canadian thing. :mamoru:

If you seriously did that, then I'm impressed.
    But something tells me you set it up on a new partition.

5. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

Nope, I'm pretty sure that's what I did. otherwise i would be able to format that partition :o

6. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

7. Doc Brown

I guess I'm confused. What leads you to believe that you have dual installs on the same partition?

8. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

I installed a second copy of windows, I know thats there because when I turn on my computer I have to select which copy to run..... I know its the same partition because when I go to the screen to delete/create a partion there is only one. is this a glitch or something.. i dont see why you're having trouble understanding

9. Doc Brown

Because there's probably a lot of things that might lead one to believe they
    are in that situation.
    It generally helps to know what got you to the point of thinking that's what's going on.

I'm at a loss to figure out how that could even be done.
    It sure sounds like a glitch of some kind. Have you tried booting up into
    each of the two that you see?

Chances are that one of them is a dead end, or maybe even they
    are both the same install.

10. Doc Brown

The more that I think about it, I've seen that before and it is a glitch.

You do need to figure out which one is your os.

You'll be able to delete the wrong one, once you figure that out.

11. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I've messed around with plenty of installs in the past and I've never, ever thought there were 2 OSs installed.....in fact, I'm pretty sure you haven't.

It's more than likely a glitch in your Master Boot Record. When you re-install Windows, it asks you if you want to format the HD. If you do that, you wipe out the other OS.

So although you have goofy issues, it's most likely a glitch.

I would take all your files that you want to save, copy them to a DVD then reinstall your OS. When you do this, be sure to wipe out all previous partitions, then recreate only the ones you want...then reinstall the OS....be sure when you reinstall, you do a full format of the partition.

When I've had goofy probs in the past, I'll wipe out the partitions, then install linux (creating completly different partitions). Then reinstall Windows.

12. peerk

peerk New Member

What is in your c:\boot.ini file?

13. Doc Brown

That's what I was getting at when I posted last night.

He can use bootcfg to delete the extra one, but he needs to do some homework to make sure which one is the correct one.

But he obviously thought that anyone who questions whether he actually has
    two os's running on the same partition must not know what he's talking about. :mamoru:

14. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Have any of you ever heard of a parallel install? It is possible that he has 2 "copies" of XP on his machine. I have never tried doing that to fix a problem though, so I'm not sure how the machine would act afterwards.

15. Doc Brown

Not on the same partition installed at two seperate times, which
    is what he is saying happened.

Anyway, it's not that. It's just a remnant of the old os in the boot.ini file.

To get rid of it, he needs to run bootcfg in a command prompt.

16. Zer0 G

Zer0 G New Member

You did not install 2 different instances of XP on the same partition.

Call me crazy but several other people on this topic have already told you what to do.

Modify your boot.ini file.

All you have done was rerun an installation on top of your current XP setup thus modifying your mbr.

Start XP (the version you normally select when you log into XP)

Right click on My computer.

Select Properties.

Select the Advanced tab.

Select Settings under the Startup and Recovery section.

Select the Edit Button, you will see 2 instances of Windows XP. You will want to only have the one.

After you are finished it should look like this.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  17. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

Yeah, I didn't mean that in a 'why are you asking me these stupid questions, you must be wrong' way. I was just asking because I figured there was more to the problem because of your skepticism. Anyways, yes I can go into both OS's. They are differant versions of XP, have a differant visual look, and differant programs.

My boot.ini file looks like this:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=1
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

should i just delete the second instance out of the boot.ini file?

18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

HAH! He DID install it twice. It looks like something happened to cause the first installation of Windows to be unrecognizable, so he was able to install a second copy onto the same partition, which in turn caused whatever file was missing from the first Windows to be replaced.

Honestly, your best chance to have a stable installation of Windows will be to run a Windows Repair operation on the now-operable installation already on your hard drive. Then delete the second entry in BOOT.INI.

19. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

:rofl:

Actually, both copies of Windows work perfectly. Maybe I'll just leave them both untill i get an external HD to put my music on

20. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I disagree.

His boot.ini file simply shows 2 entries, however they point to the same place...or at least it appears that they do. To me this is just a file corruption issue.

I srsly don't think he has 2 copies of the registry and 2 complete OS file installs. An examination of the file structures should be able to determine this.

21. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

The \WINDOWS.1 and \WINDOWS.0 are the actual install paths for both sets of Windows. The system registry is just a file under the Windows directory so I can see him having 2 copies of everything.

If you're sick of seeing the "Choose your operating system" menu at bootup then just remove the "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Mic rosoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect" line from your boot.ini file. The second install will remain but you just won't be able to get to it (unless you added the line back in the .ini file). To really clean it up you'd want to delete everything under the WINDOWS.0 directory but JUST INCASE I'd leave it.

If it's not giving you any trouble other than the boot option just make that change and move on.

22. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

It sounds to me like you know what you're doing and you just want confirmation. I think anyone would agree that the cleanest method is to back everything up and do a format/reinstall. Removing the referenced line from boot.ini will do it though.

23. Doc Brown

This doesn't make sense though.
    If windows sees the other os during the install, it won't put another one on that same partition.
    If it doesn't see the other os on the partition, then it's going to overwrite a big chunk of that first os during the install.

And in an operating system where just one missing file can mess your day up,
    it just doesn't sound possible that it would work.

24. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

freak occurance? both OS's work PERFECTLY. and i used differant copies, version one was like a hacked version sort of. So it has an old school grey taskbar look and the one i've always used has my settings. version one also came with a bunch of programs which is all thats installed on there, and the one im using has all my programs and shit. I'm just going to leave it. I don't see a point in fixing this really

25. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Look up how to do a parallel install of Windows... The instructions clearly state to install the second copy on the same partition but just installing to another folder. The orignial poster even said he was having PC problems and installed Windows again to try and fix the problem.