How do I turn off the Windows Firewall when it's grayed out

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gen5_EG, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

The "Off" setting is grayed out and it says that it is controlled by a group policy. What can I do to turn this off? I need to communicate with a crossover cable and need to control an IP device, but it's not allowing me to do it because of the firewall issue. Another laptop that I used doesn't have this group policy setting and it works just fine. I would like to get it to work with my laptop, but need to resolve this.

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Are you on a domain? If you are, there's nothing you can do. Domain policy > Local Administrative Policy > *

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Actually, if he is an admin on the local machine he can temporarily remove the GPO setting policy by editing the policy in the registry. It won't turn back on until the next policy refresh. Not sure what it is for that one off the top of my head but I'm sure it's in here (use the search in the top/left):

http://www.winguides.com/registry/

5. deusexaethera

What good will that do? What if the policy refreshes every ten minutes?

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

GPO's refresh every 90 minutes by default. Since policy refreshes are somewhat resource intensive on the domain no one with a clue is going to set it to 10 minutes.

Also most user policies won't go back into effect until the user logs off and back on or a policy is "forced" to refresh (the policy keys are written at login to the ntuser.dat).

7. deusexaethera

Ten minutes was just an example; my real point was, so what if he can disable the firewall for a couple of hours? It doesn't get him past the problem that the firewall will be re-enabled the next time he logs on.

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

It depends on how he needs to use the crossover link. If it's just for a period of time this will work. If not then he needs to get a domain admin to exempt him from the GPO or modify it to allow the connection. Either way it will at least buy him a window to use it.

There is a way to completely block it on the machine but it's too easy to screw up to go into and would affect more than just that particular policy.

9. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

If I'm not going to log in to the network, and just do things locally through a hub, that would be possible. But I have no idea what the admin user name and password is for the computer locally and to log in to the computer in stand-alone. I wasn't the one who set it up, so I dont know how to find this out.

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

huh??

You are going to do things locally through a hub?? That doesn't make any sense. Either you are local (i.e. NOT connected to a network) or you are connected to a network. If you are connected to a network, then you have probably not been given admin rights. Contact your network admin.

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

If you don't have local admin rights then you are hosed. Someone with admin rights will have to set it up for you.